love

Author Topic: "The Third & Seventh" Amazing digital short  (Read 3321 times)

Samos

• Oote
Re: "The Third & Seventh" Amazing digital short
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »
It looks way better than Avatar to me.

I guess that's fine. I think both achieve their goals almost perfectly, but I also think it's important to factor in one having goals many many many many many many many times more complex than the other.

I understand your point, but that 1 man could literally create what feels like a real environment is mind blowing to me. Furthermore you talk about the imagery being primitive compared to what is being achieved in movies like Avatar. But doesn't the IMO absolute feeling of reality make a good argument for how current digital imagery is too self referential and out of touch with what it is they are trying to (re)produce?
Ik heb haar liever dan geluk
Ik heb haar liever dan de ware

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »
I understand your point, but that 1 man could literally create what feels like a real environment is mind blowing to me.

No, it is, don't get me wrong, I am as impressed by this as anyone. I just don't see the use in comparing it to something like Avatar that is so much more ambitious.

Furthermore you talk about the imagery being primitive compared to what is being achieved in movies like Avatar. But doesn't the IMO absolute feeling of reality make a good argument for how current digital imagery is too self referential and out of touch with what it is they are trying to (re)produce?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, could you clarify?

Samos

• Oote
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »
Furthermore you talk about the imagery being primitive compared to what is being achieved in movies like Avatar. But doesn't the IMO absolute feeling of reality make a good argument for how current digital imagery is too self referential and out of touch with what it is they are trying to (re)produce?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, could you clarify?

I'm sorry for being vague, I'm not used to writing in english which makes it difficult for me to present my point clearly.

I feel that current advances in digital imagery are very self referential in the sense that they are only focusing on trying to improve previous goals in digital imagery. Hereby it seems that the creators are no longer trying to (re)produce reality but (re)produce digital reality.

I'm sorry for being vague once more....

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »

Don't be, your English wasn't the problem, I just wasn't sure what you meant by self-referential. You're more articulate than many native English speakers I know. ;)

I feel that current advances in digital imagery are very self referential in the sense that they are only focusing on trying to improve previous goals in digital imagery. Hereby it seems that the creators are no longer trying to (re)produce reality but (re)produce digital reality.

I really don't think that is the goal of any VFX team. They're always trying to serve the project however they are needed to, and if that means recreating reality that is what they try to do.

Photorealism is often thought of as the holy-grail of CGI because of pure difficulty, but by definition it is often not the goal. Films like Avatar fall more under the term hyperrealism. They show things that could not be captured with a camera, but follow the rules of reality to make it believable. So while something like this short film may be technically more "realistic" than the decidedly otherworldly CGI in Avatar, both succeed in my eyes for making me believe in what they are showing me, but with very different artistic intents.

Samos

• Oote
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 03:21:07 PM »

Don't be, your English wasn't the problem, I just wasn't sure what you meant by self-referential. You're more articulate than many native English speakers I know. ;)

I really don't think that is the goal of any VFX team. They're always trying to serve the project however they are needed to, and if that means recreating reality that is what they try to do.

Photorealism is often thought of as the holy-grail of CGI because of pure difficulty, but by definition it is often not the goal. Films like Avatar fall more under the term hyperrealism. They show things that could not be captured with a camera, but follow the rules of reality to make it believable. So while something like this short film may be technically more "realistic" than the decidedly otherworldly CGI in Avatar, both succeed in my eyes for making me believe in what they are showing me, but with very different artistic intents.

I would like to add that I have no problem with the CGI portrayed in Avatar, far from it. I was just amazed with how moved I could be from CGI showing architecture in an uncanny realistic beautiful way. The library based on Tadao Ando's design moved me in an very strange powerful way

, I have been watching this film for 3 days on repeat and it doesn't become less amazing, CG or not.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:59:26 PM by Samos »

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
Very, very cool. Loved his choice of architecture and music. It makes me think he's a big fan of Gattaca.

love