Author Topic: News for FLYmeatwad  (Read 43809 times)

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
Re: News for FLYmeatwad
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »
Thank god the evacuated the Theme Park... I mean, that Killer Whale could have easily got out of the tank, and started killing whole families...   ;)
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2010, 07:35:12 PM »
More Frills on Flights http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_494858.html

So not really the complete news but just something they I never really understood too well which is how the standard of airlines and service can be so vastly different.

I fly a lot at times (last year I was working away from my home over 5 months) and the standard of flights between the general Asian airline and US airline is worlds apart.  Just the basic service for one is much better.  But what really makes the flights much easier to take is the basics that they offer you.

Typical flights on SIA will have 20 plus "currentish" films on demand.  They can be paused and rewind them as you wish.  On top of those, usually there are 20 or more "classic films" (could be Grease or Casablanca)

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/exp/entertainment/movies/thismonth1.jsp??v=-1494923379&

Board with movies or can not finish one, then you can switch to probably over 100 TV programs:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/exp/entertainment/television/index.jsp?v=-1396780714&

The airline industry always seems to be in trouble to the point they can never seriously reinvent themselves.  At some point they need to rethink how they want to service their customers and find a way to make it work profitably.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2010, 07:38:28 PM »
Interesting. George Clooney says they have a thing for slip on shoes, and pack light, and stuff. He stereotypes because it saves time, or something. I don't usually FLY much, though I like to usually.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
Interesting. George Clooney says they have a thing for slip on shoes, and pack light, and stuff. He stereotypes because it saves time, or something. I don't usually FLY much, though I like to usually.

I've not had a chance to see it yet but hoping to soon.  I really do not like to fly though I am lucky as I am usually a asleep after a couple of wines and vodkas. 
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »
Killer Whale Kills Trainer at Sea World in Front of Audience

Sad the person killed and sad for the whale - those animals should not be kept in an aquarium - they are supposed to be free....
Hey, nice marmot!

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2010, 11:03:01 PM »
Bruce Willis is the Origami Killer.  :o

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2010, 03:46:16 AM »
In a ruling in the High Court late last week, Sir Andrew found for Pink Floyd in the band’s battle against record company EMI over the selling online of individual tracks from their albums.

The argument between the two parties turned on a contract made in 1999, the terms of which stipulated that the band’s music could not be uncoupled, that is a concept could not be filleted. In court, EMI argued that the contract was drawn up before the digital download revolution

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/what-a-suite-suite-success-20100315-q74f.html

The remaining members of Pink Floyd (I know, they are no Miley) won a law suit against the record company on who controls the right of how they sell their music digitally. By contract, EMI had no rights to separate individual tracks, that that it could only be bundled as a complete album.  But after downloads took off, they took it as they only had to bundle it as an album if it is on physical medium but could sell individual tracks if it was downloaded.  The judge says otherwise.

Actually, I am surprised that EMI really would argue this as the intent of why Pink Floyd had this requirement in the contract is quite obvious.  If they wished to sell them individually, they should approach the band on their request and change the contract, not just make an assumption and move forward without permission.

Also, Apple should be more respectful of artist's intent as well.  One of the iTunes requirements is that the songs have to be able to be ordered individually which probably means they will not sell anything Pink Floyd as that is against their wishes. 

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2010, 08:14:18 AM »
I can respect their artistic integrity, I admire it even; however, this will have huge repercussions in the Rock Band world as the chance that Pink Floyd will ever be made available on a disc is incredibly slim if this is the band's official stance. They would be a huge get for Harmonix, a huge get, which means that now Harmonix needs to funnel all its effort into the last big hold out from the music and rhythm game genre: Led Zeppelin, which will be incredibly difficult given their public stance on the genre. I would say there is a chance that they could be made available as DLC in a full album release, but full albums on the Music Store also allow for individual downloads. I suppose there is the chance a track pack, ala AC/DC will be released, but I would doubt such an event highly.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
I just spent +2 hours "grinding" away in FFXIII last night so I could defeat a hard boss.

I hated every moment, but I knew FLY would love it.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
I just spent +2 hours "grinding" away in FFXIII last night so I could defeat a hard boss.

I hated every moment, but I knew FLY would love it.

how far in are you?  haven't had to grind as of yet, though i'm only into chapter 4.

love