Author Topic: News for FLYmeatwad  (Read 26875 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: News for FLYmeatwad
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
Nobody commenting on Canada being awesome?

I thought that was why they hired you. Don't you do that 17 times a week around these boards?

You know, you have a responsibility to help me out with that.

I'm busy keeping up with my British persona (and failing at keeping up with said persona, but still). Besides, you forget I am from Québec, meaning I have to fill the role of the 'enemy' as well.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 11:57:50 AM »
I'm still unclear about the purpose of the thread. Then again, we have several threads like that here, so carry on.
Just post news stories that caught your interest.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »
I'm still unclear about the purpose of the thread. Then again, we have several threads like that here, so carry on.
Just post news stories that caught your interest.

Fair enough.

FLY, we need you expertise on beer. What the hell am I going to do now?!?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
Yes, I have heard such talk, but I had no idea it was over censorship. Tis a topic I am passionate, and intimate, about. Does Google want to do the censoring or does China?

China mandates that google not allow certain words/phrases to be searched - "Tiananmen Square" for instance.  Until now Google has obliged but they recently stated that they will soon remove the filters they have in place and would like to work with the Chinese gov't to see what they can do.  If the gov't won't work with them they plan to cease operations in China.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
Yes, I have heard such talk, but I had no idea it was over censorship. Tis a topic I am passionate, and intimate, about. Does Google want to do the censoring or does China?

China mandates that google not allow certain words/phrases to be searched - "Tiananmen Square" for instance.  Until now Google has obliged but they recently stated that they will soon remove the filters they have in place and would like to work with the Chinese gov't to see what they can do.  If the gov't won't work with them they plan to cease operations in China.

Ah, the beautiful air of oppression. That's a pretty large market, they should make moral compromises if the price is right.

I will read the rest of this news later.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 09:15:41 PM »
Interesting developments in Malaysia for you.  At the end of December, Malaysia banned Christians from using the world "Alah" when referring to god in order not to confuse Muslims.  Something about them being tricked or confused and may convert.  Since then, a number of churches have been firebombed or damaged and now this:

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/SEAsia/Story/STIStory_482759.html

Pig heads left at M'sian mosque

KUALA LUMPUR - A CLERIC says two severed heads of pigs - considered unclean by devout Muslims - have been found at a mosque following a spate of firebomb attacks on churches.

The incident on Wednesday is the latest to hit a place of worship amid a worsening dispute in recent weeks over the use of the word 'Allah' by Christians.

Hazelaihi Abdullah, the top official at a suburb mosque in central Selangor state, says people who went to his mosque to perform morning prayers on Wednesday were shocked to find two pig heads in the mosque compound.

Mr Hazelaihi says he was informed that pig heads also were found at another mosque nearby. However, Selangor Police Chief Khalid Abu Bakar says he could only confirm the incident at Mr Hazelaihi's mosque. -- AP
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 09:20:20 PM »
Interesting, though there are likely to be better ways to handle a speech ban, though there is reason to be upset. No one tells me(atwad) how to talk, religious or not, so I can endorse this type of behavior if I have understood the article correctly. Thanks for the info!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »
I think to an extend, there are bans on speech just about everywhere. Either legally or by society imposed restrictions like political correctness, etc.  Of course, you can always ignore those without legal consequences most likely.

But having traveled to quite a few countries (mostly in Asia), I find few people ever really discuss it and I think basically it is except in order to maintain order.  You can not accept it but for sure do not go to certain places.  Be critical of the king in Thailand and then you can go to jail and it is not so much a threat as it does happen from time to time.

I see two sides to the Google/China debate.  Most people are looking at it as a censorship issue but there is also an attitude that Westerners like to come to other countries and ignore local laws. In this case, the local law is a contradiction of what many will feel is just a basic right.

I find this one was very underplayed, or maybe just in my part of the world:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185608/china_starts_restoring_internet_in_divided_muslim_region.html?tk=rel_news

They cut off access to the entire region of Xinjiang for almost 6 months.. population is close to 20Million.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 11:48:43 PM »
interesting corollary to the current French/Hijab situation.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
Hey FLY - earthquake in Haiti.
Hey, nice marmot!

love