love

Author Topic: News for FLYmeatwad  (Read 43804 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: News for FLYmeatwad
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2010, 02:55:46 PM »
Surely with 9 years worth of savings you had enough of a reserve to last out the job search, minus any extreme medical problems that were unforeseeable, correct?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2010, 02:59:02 PM »
Surely with 9 years worth of savings you had enough of a reserve to last out the job search, minus any extreme medical problems that were unforeseeable, correct?

So completely besides the point.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »

Not really. The question is "What am I to do in this situation?" correct? Here's the way FLY plans to live his life. With each pay check a specific portion will, each and every time, be deposited in a saving's account that will earn, at the very least, minimal interest. I won't live outside of my means, in any regard, and will have a constant emergency supply for those times when I am not employed, which will hopefully be minimal and not need to be used, but it will be there. I cannot say what I would do in a situation I have never been in, all I can do is say what I will do to make sure I never get put in such a situation. Either way, I reckon you sue, right? That's what everyone does now a days, I think.

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »

exactly.... plus, when I say I worked there for 9 years... I started there when I was 16.  I wasn't "saving" for a rainy day when I was 16... 17..... 18.... then I went to college, and still worked there.... full time mind you to both...
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »

I could have lasted a year with my savings, and unemployment....

but that's me.... not everyone has that luxury.... the point is... when you get fired, or laid off... what are you supposed to do, because in most cases, your employer based insurance is taken away, and what you are offered is a high cost alternative that is not affordable to most, specially those with children
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
I cannot say what I would do in a situation I have never been in, all I can do is say what I will do to make sure I never get put in such a situation. Either way, I reckon you sue, right? That's what everyone does now a days, I think.

easier said then done my friend... I never once put myself in a bad situation... gayfully employed at a company, once owned by my family, that was consistently growing by 8% each year, where I could work as much as I want (meaning OT).  But, hard times hit, and it hit my industry hard.  It was an industry that was once said was "recessionproof"... I was the low man on the totem poll.

Here I am though, before hand, paying huge student loans, a car loan, and a mortgage.  But Not once "living beyound my means" being able to afford my lifestyle on 30 hours a week, otherwise known as 75% after bills, utilities, food, everything... being able to "bank" 25 to 20 percent on my income.  But i got laid off.  My savings was enough to substain my lifestyle, but, with unemployment being so low, at 363 a week, i was hemeraging money... and I couldn't afford healthcare.. because in order to get that.. I would have to limit my window of 12 months of secutiry, to about 5 months.

But, what happens if my son get's sick?  Lets say he develops a autoimmune dieses like my wife, and needs specialized care.  Now, I have no insurance, stuck with medical bills that I can't afford,.......and now, he has a "pre-existing" condition, that will make it difficult to get insurance in the future, because he developed this when he was uninsured
-Gene Siskel

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
I can't say I follow very much on US politics any more.  I have been living overseas now for over 5 years and do not have cable or read US newspapers.  So I am not up what ever the current statistics are.

But I have gotten into this discussion a few times with local friends that think Singapore needs to build a safety net and do more for its people.  I just tell them...don't go there.  The system here is simple and works.  Once they start to introduce programs the natural end result will be something very messy and not very effective.  I suppose my biggest Pet Peeve would be that I have not lived in the US since 2004 and  I have probably spent a total of 4 weeks there over that entire time.  I still have to file and pay US taxes though none of my income (outside of stock trading gains/losses) is made there.  It probably takes me 8 hours to collect all the details and I still pay an accountant to put the final paperwork together for the filing.  I see that the mess of the US tax system is a result of the programs and engineering the gov't has put in place (things like tax breaks on mortgage interest, etc)

Here, it takes me about 10 minutes to log online and enter my details.  2 months later I get a notice of how much taxes I owe.  Until that time, i do not pay anything.  All the income comes to me.  They do not charge me late for withholding too much.  I am still paying 2008 taxes now.  I will file 2009 next month and then start paying them around June.

As far as foreign aid, in general a bad idea as it is used as a political weapon.  Though relief aid is another story.  That is unexpected and purely humanitarian and no strings should be attached to a political agenda.  I was living in this area when the Tsunami killed over 100,000 people back in 2005.  That kind of help is needed.

The rest.. well, i think they need to rethink and simplify what they are trying to do but it would never be possible as it is not in the interest of the politicians.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
This reaction is simple. I wish I was a whale.

EDIT: Oh, FLY, that rhythm. It's times like this you should have never stopped rapping. Go write a poem!

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »
HOLLY SHIT!!!!  I mean... that woman almost stole my ideal death... I want to be eaten by a Great White Shark when I'm older... like if I reach 74, cutting my legs, and going swimming in South Africa...

-Gene Siskel