Author Topic: What is your ICheckMovies ranking?  (Read 130038 times)

Jared

• Elite Member
What is your ICheckMovies ranking?
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
Anyone ever gone through this site?

http://www.icheckmovies.com/

Ive looked through all the lists now and am ranked at #136 overall in movies seen. I like it a lot more than that other checklist site because you are able to see the whole list at once instead of frequently navigating between pages. It gives you bronze, silver, gold and plantium awards for each list based on percentage youve seen. Ive only got 3 platinums right now. Gonna start plowing through the new TSPDT list.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: What is your ICheckMovies ranking?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »
I got bored with it after about 15 minutes.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »
Looks like a great time-waster for work.

I'm in!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »
Since Netflix is the ultimate repository for my rankings (and thus which movies I've seen), it is a little easier for the lists that it offers, but for something like imdb250 and all these other lists, this is a superior presentation and I do think it will help me keep track of my progress as well as be encouraged to go after some lists/movies that I wouldn't otherwise.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »
I sat and did this most of the evening.  It was great fun.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »
i really have been enjoying the recently added "Breif Encounters" list that has a bunch of short films. Ive been watching them in my lunch breaks at work.

3 days a week or so, they update everything and show you where you are ranked overall and all the lists indivually.

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:38 PM »
I use listsofbests generally but this is a good site as well. A lot of lists in it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
Ok, I'm now up to 945 films that they have...obviously they are missing a lot of films (I think if it isn't on one of their lists, it pretty much isn't there). This puts me somewhere in the 400-425 rank range.

I like the fact that you can load up a list of all the movies you haven't seen and sort by how many lists they are on...it allows you to prioritize by getting the most bang for your buck as list completion goes.

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Just noticed it. Very useful feature!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »
One thing I'm noticing in using this is that there are movies that fall into some odd categories and I don't know how to treat them.

There are films I know I've seen bits of or maybe even sat through when I was a kid but don't remember at all and certainly wouldn't have appreciated it properly (Lawrence of Arabia, Witness, Predator). Of course there are also a number of classics that I watched in the past year or two that I almost forgot I watched (and remember nothing about) but I don't feel bad about claiming credit for those.

There are others where I've seen remakes (often without knowing it at the time). I'm willing to count something like Funny Games (shot for shot recreation by the same director) but I certainly don't count Shop Around The Corner because I saw You've Got Mail, right?

Can I count these films or to be honest with myself do I need to rewatch them?

P.S. Can I watch the original King Kong and also take credit for Peter Jackson's version or do I have to suffer through his bloated CGI-fest as well?

love