Author Topic: What is your ICheckMovies ranking?  (Read 130042 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: What is your ICheckMovies ranking?
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
One thing I'm noticing in using this is that there are movies that fall into some odd categories and I don't know how to treat them.

There are films I know I've seen bits of or maybe even sat through when I was a kid but don't remember at all and certainly wouldn't have appreciated it properly (Lawrence of Arabia, Witness, Predator). Of course there are also a number of classics that I watched in the past year or two that I almost forgot I watched (and remember nothing about) but I don't feel bad about claiming credit for those.

There are others where I've seen remakes (often without knowing it at the time). I'm willing to count something like Funny Games (shot for shot recreation by the same director) but I certainly don't count Shop Around The Corner because I saw You've Got Mail, right?

Can I count these films or to be honest with myself do I need to rewatch them?

P.S. Can I watch the original King Kong and also take credit for Peter Jackson's version or do I have to suffer through his bloated CGI-fest as well?

Even Funny Games, as a shot for shot remake by the same director, differs because of the actors. But I suppose you can count whatever you like.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 12:52:50 AM »
Even Funny Games, as a shot for shot remake by the same director, differs because of the actors. But I suppose you can count whatever you like.

I reckon if I had liked it I'd be more willing to watch the original. I guess that is half the point...I don't really enjoy 75% of the "classics" that I watch so when I have a remake or a vague recollection of the original telling me that a film is part of the 75% and not the 25% I don't have a lot of eagerness but I feel I have a sort of obligation to fight through if not to enjoy then to be better grounded so I can enjoy what I do enjoy better.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
Necrobumb...

So icheckmovies 2.0 is going to have personal lists and groups. I'm thinking I'll take the initiative, when the new features are released, to start a group and then also import our various forum lists (100 Film, 100 Animated, Best of 00s) so people can use their nifty system to keep track of progress.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »
That would be awesome. I'd be all for that.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:48:41 PM »
Trying it out for the first time tonight... the speed of the server is making me want to close it within about 10 minutes.  It's let me check a single film so far, and everything else is still loading.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »
Trying it out for the first time tonight... the speed of the server is making me want to close it within about 10 minutes.  It's let me check a single film so far, and everything else is still loading.

Hmm, it has its bad moments but I don't usually find it too bad. Maybe it is because I've already checked all the films listed on their site (not presently exhaustive...mostly ones on lists) that I've seen so I'm usually adding one or two at a time as I watch new ones.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
Is there a website where I can create a list of favorite films and have them instantly sorted by decade, director, genre etc?   I use IMDB but it is severely lacking in sorting features (year only).
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:56 PM »
criticker isn't bad and you can basically do that.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »

Yeah, that's what I use. The sort features have worked well for me, especially when I was trying to put together my best of the decade list.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »

Yeah, that's what I use. The sort features have worked well for me, especially when I was trying to put together my best of the decade list.

Thanks guys, will give it a go.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.