love

Author Topic: What is your ICheckMovies ranking?  (Read 130070 times)

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
Re: What is your ICheckMovies ranking?
« Reply #680 on: May 02, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »
Is there a feature which tells you which awards you are closest to? Is that one of those fancy premium member things?

Under the "Progress" section of your profile, there's supposed to be a filter called "Closest Award", but that seems kinda... buggy. The filtered results for me seem out of order, or just organized in a way that's difficult to tell which list I'm closest to winning an award.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #681 on: May 02, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
Is there a feature which tells you which awards you are closest to? Is that one of those fancy premium member things?

Under the "Progress" section of your profile, there's supposed to be a filter called "Closest Award", but that seems kinda... buggy. The filtered results for me seem out of order, or just organized in a way that's difficult to tell which list I'm closest to winning an award.
It works fine, though I do understand how it can be a bit confusing, especially for non-paying members since it doesn't show you the numbers. It orders lists by number of films to the next award, and then by the award you're closest to. Bronze is 50%, Silver is 75%, Gold is 90%, and Platinum is 100%.

That said, looking at the list you posted it looks like you sorted yours by completion percentage rather than closest award, which explains why it looks strange.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 02, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
That said, looking at the list you posted it looks like you sorted yours by completion percentage rather than closest award, which explains why it looks strange.

Nah, I only changed that sorting filter to "Completion Percentage" when the "Closest Award" filter became confusing to me, as you said. I think you're right about the non-paying member limitation.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #683 on: May 23, 2016, 12:47:31 AM »
That guy called "dtsjr" who just joined the Filmspotting group is me.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #684 on: May 31, 2016, 09:10:15 AM »
Watched a documentary compilation by the Manaki brothers. Each of the 40 shorts counts as an official check, giving my numbers a larger than normal boost

I'm currently #20 in the charts (no change) with 6459 official checks (up 58)
10556 checks overall (up 102)

8023 Unchecked titles to go that appear on at least 1 list (Down 32)
168 Unchecked Titles to go that appear on at least 5 lists (Down 1)
235/251 MartinTeller's Top 250 (no change)
261/329 The Bondo Collection (no change)
236/250 PeacefulAnarchy's Top 250 (no change)

123 Awards (no change)
50 Platinum (no change)
23 Gold (+1, Worldwide Box Office)
26 Silver
24 Bronze (-1)

My Top Shames (all in 8 Top Lists or more):
Heimat (9 Lists)
The Puppetmaster
Quince Tree of the Sun
Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (8 Lists)
The Time to Live and the Time to Die

My Top 5 Shames Based on Number of Checks:
The Notebook
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
What Happens in Vegas

My Top De-Shames:
Son of Saul (4 Lists)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #685 on: June 01, 2016, 03:14:23 AM »
Have you written about Son of Saul anywhere ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #686 on: June 01, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
No. I was impressed by the technique and had no new perspective to contribute.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
ICheckMovies New Lists
« Reply #687 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:12 AM »

BFI Flare's Best LGBT Films of All Time: Perfect timing with LGBT Pride month and our current Group Marathon. Something beyond typical genre and country lists, and I think all of the titles I haven't seen are already on my Watchlist.

Fantasy Cinema: Impossible Worlds on Screen: And under-represented genre on ICM, though the 164 titles includes Eragon (which by all accounts is dreadful) and Basic Instinct 1 and 2?? As an experiment, I filtered the list by those IMDB considers fantasy and half the titles disappeared.

I had never heard of the Locarno Film Festival - Golden Leopard, but it is one of the oldest and the list of titles isn't completely obscure. So I'm reserving judgement on this one.

Público's Best Portuguese Films: I'm between Orange and Red on this. The Red is just a personal bias against country lists. There may well be some great titles here.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #688 on: June 02, 2016, 11:05:18 AM »
Agreed. Though I think country lists are ok, so I don't have an issue with the Portugal one other than I'm not particularly interested in working on it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #689 on: June 10, 2016, 09:12:50 AM »
I'd like to see the Black Film Canon list from Slate added as an official list. I don't think there is anything in that vein yet. I really like almost everything I've seen on the list, and need to explore it further. A similar list for female director (I'm sure there are some out there) also would be a welcome addition.

love