Author Topic: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To  (Read 115168 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To
« Reply #400 on: April 08, 2010, 01:50:35 PM »
When I saw Destroyer, Bejar drank throughout the entire show, and took slightly buzzed bows in between songs.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #401 on: April 08, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
When I saw Destroyer, Bejar drank throughout the entire show, and took slightly buzzed bows in between songs.

Yeah, that seems to be his thing. When I saw TNP it was the whole group and Bejar would wander out 3-4 times during the show to do a song he was featured on with beer in hand and a combination of drunk/stoned. I really like the songs he is involved in though.

FWIW, Challengers is probably my favorite. I know it can be lame to like their most recent work. Just such a complete album.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #402 on: April 08, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »
FWIW, Challengers is probably my favorite. I know it can be lame to like their most recent work. Just such a complete album.

I wouldn't describe it as lame. I wanted to like Challengers. I bought a forreals CD! It just felt really subdued compared to Twin Cinema, and I like for music to feel a little teetering out of control. ...Which is why I currently am heartbroken over the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. But whatever. I'll just sit at home, listening to Bikini Kill, thinking about the Sex Pistols.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #403 on: April 08, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »
I meant more of a general comment is all the "hip" people tend to like older works of any given artist so as to isolate themselves from those who jumped on the bandwagon later to be trendy. I think this trend is snobbish because I think it is reasonable to think that a band will develop and improve over time.

Obviously in any individual case tastes can justify liking earlier stuff; and I think this is a good example as I agree with you the difference in Challengers from the earlier stuff. I just happen to to like them a bit more subdued. Haven't spent a lot of time with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but I do like Zero; sometimes you can't help but be trendy because you simply aren't exposed to something before it breaks big.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #404 on: April 08, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
I meant more of a general comment is all the "hip" people tend to like older works of any given artist so as to isolate themselves from those who jumped on the bandwagon later to be trendy. I think this trend is snobbish because I think it is reasonable to think that a band will develop and improve over time.

Obviously in any individual case tastes can justify liking earlier stuff; and I think this is a good example as I agree with you the difference in Challengers from the earlier stuff. I just happen to to like them a bit more subdued. Haven't spent a lot of time with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but I do like Zero; sometimes you can't help but be trendy because you simply aren't exposed to something before it breaks big.

I think you're making some really reasonable points. Of course someone will know a band from the time when they came into contact with that band, and not everyone wants to spend their hours hanging out on stereogum and Hipster Runoff, deciding what it means to be cool. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, for example. Yes, I think that the sounds that they are making now (It's Blitz) are high quality. But I also know this:

ART STAR

As you said, "in any individual case tastes can justify liking earlier stuff." But I think this tension goes beyond that. Music (like film, but more so) is so personal that you take it into your body. You take it into your ears, and you live with it. You drive with it, you play it in the background while you CINECAST!, you hear it even when it's not on. If you're a person who cares deeply about music, who connects with and incorporates what you hear, then what you hear becomes essentially a part of your own life. So, when you've been listening to "earlier" stuff -- smoking, crying, yelling to it, when you have taken it's words and its tones and put them into your own mouth and spilled them out of your mouth, you are involved in that sound. So, when I go from the Master EP above to It's Blitz below, it feels as if something that has been a part of me, of my memory, of my history has broken away, is away from me now.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs Zero

Of course, it's not just the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I've been through this with other bands. And, as a musician and friend of musicians, as someone whose social life involves a lot of basement shows, as someone who likes an inchoate sound, I do tend to have already had my run with a band before (or if) they become more recognized in the mainstream. So, I get the "early stuff" thing. But I think that when people say, "Oh, it's not as good as their early stuff," they (unless they're assholes) are referring to the experience of living with a sound that became incorporate for them and then dealing with the divorce of that oneness when the sound moved on without them.

Hm. I realize that others may not want to read my rambling thoughts on music. I have a lot of them, and I really like writing about and discussing music. If ignored, I will attempt to cease.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #405 on: April 08, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
Of course, it's not just the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I've been through this with other bands. And, as a musician and friend of musicians, as someone whose social life involves a lot of basement shows, as someone who likes an inchoate sound, I do tend to have already had my run with a band before (or if) they become more recognized in the mainstream. So, I get the "early stuff" thing. But I think that when people say, "Oh, it's not as good as their early stuff," they (unless they're assholes) are referring to the experience of living with a sound that became incorporate for them and then dealing with the divorce of that oneness when the sound moved on without them.

Yeah, the "early stuff" card is mostly justifiable for me when a band you like gets big and gets away from the reasons you liked them in the first place.

Of course, I also hate when I smaller band I love gets big because that means more assholes I have to deal with at their shows (Animal Collective being the most recent example of this).

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #406 on: April 09, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
I think this trend is snobbish because I think it is reasonable to think that a band will develop and improve over time

it may be reasonable but its often not the case.  the old adage "a band has a lifetime to write their first album... they have a couple months to write their second" works quite well. And also they (hopefully) have money to hire a producer who can CINECAST! up what made them sound so good the first time round.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #407 on: April 09, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »
hmmm... Squeeze is touring! but with Cheap Trick (meh).

OlympicArtichoke

• "Well, what if the cops can't handle this, Jack?"
    • Olympic Artichoke
« Reply #408 on: April 09, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
I want to go see Neil Young in June, but tickets are insane.
"I'm sort of my own Mafia, you know, breaking my own knees" - John Cassavetes

"That's all we do, isn't it - look at things and try new drinks?"

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #409 on: April 09, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »
Just bought tickets to see this guy in a few weeks...

Take Away Show-The Tallest Man On Earth- The Gardener