Author Topic: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To  (Read 115207 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Live Music
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 07:15:16 PM »
  Some of my all time best shows:

Prince - the Purple Rain Tour...do I need to say more?

U2 - the Unforgettable Fire Tour, the Joshua Tree Tour and Zoo TV Tour as well...every time they have put on an incredible show. All politics aside - Bono is a showman...and was born to rock an arena.

Metalica - I saw them in the late 80's with the Cult and also with Faith No More and Guns and Roses. I don't even like metal and I would go see these guys any time...they're that good.

Garbage - for the Beautiful Garbage tour - ok, not a great album by many's standards - but Shirley Manson is tres hot and has more machismo than most guys - a true badass frontman/woman...these guys all put out so much energy for their show...rocked my socks off.
Hey, nice marmot!

lise

• Elite Member
Re: Been to any good concerts lately?
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »
I go see the Dresden Dolls whenever they are in town...I have seen them both here (PHX) and in Prague.

so on my recent roadtrip i made a series of roadtrip mixes to keep everyone (aka me) entertained, and one of the songs on the mix was coin-operated boy by the dresden dolls. One of the guys i was driving is extremely naive and kept arguing that the song was completely clean. I just want to know how someone can get into their mid-20's and be soooooo oblivious.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Bucho

• Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
    • South Pacific Ben on YouTube
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 04:25:22 AM »
The Twilight Singers played here a couple of weeks back and they were stupendous. Mark Lanegan, probably my favourite male singer next to Tom Waits, was along for the ride and Greg was in great spirits. It was a great time.

Here's their Myspace if anyone doesn't know them and is curoius (Greg Dulli was behind the The Afghan Whigs in the 90s and early 00s and was the only non-Grohl player on the Foo Fighters first album).
"I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star ... I am a big bright shining star."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 08:00:06 PM »
While not technically live, I just watched the Grammys where, John Legend, Corrine Baily Rae, and John Mayer did a very cool medley of one of each of their songs. Legend on the piano, Rae on the acoustic guitar, and Mayer on the electric guitar. I especially liked Rae and Mayer's parts, as they did Rae's slower song and Gravity. So good.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 08:49:08 PM »
While not technically live, I just watched the Grammys where, John Legend, Corrine Baily Rae, and John Mayer did a very cool medley of one of each of their songs. Legend on the piano, Rae on the acoustic guitar, and Mayer on the electric guitar. I especially liked Rae and Mayer's parts, as they did Rae's slower song and Gravity. So good.

What song did John Legend sing?  I think he's pretty great.

"Save room for my love
Save room for a moment to be with me
Save room for my love save a little
Save a little for me
Won't you save a little
Save a little for me"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 08:54:13 PM »
I don't really remember which one he sang. I hadn't heard it before. I did like it though.

Gnarls Barkley's performance was so cool. They did a military style beat for Crazy and slowed it down a tad. It started off as just the two, then Cee-lo went over to the big stage and there was a huge orchestra and choir ensemble. So cool. I like that every live performance they do, they wear different outfits. I like these the best, because they changed the song accordingly.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 10:13:37 PM »

What song did John Legend sing?  I think he's pretty great.

"Save room for my love
Save room for a moment to be with me
Save room for my love save a little
Save a little for me
Won't you save a little
Save a little for me"

I'm pretty sure John Legend sang "Coming Home"... It really was a great performance by all three.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 10:15:40 PM »
And the Red Hot Chili Peppers were freaking awesome. I love Snow, and the live version was so good. The visual component with all of the white confetti was very cool.

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 10:18:51 PM »
I really haven't had the pleasure of going to many concerts in my life, but the best live performances I've seen were:

1. The Mooney Suzuki (opening for The Donnas)
2. Guster
3. Shakira
4. The Donnas
5. Incubus/Offspring/Weezer (Inland Empire concert a few years ago...)

Honorable Mention: Darkest Hour and The Nerds

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 10:19:18 PM »
Awww.  John Frusciante cut his hair.

Glad they won best rock album, they deserve it.

love