Author Topic: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To  (Read 115145 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To
« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2009, 09:23:29 PM »
During the last week in April I saw Bruce Springsteen twice, once here in Atlanta on 4/26 and the second show in Philly on 4/29.  Both shows were great but Atlanta was a bit better.  Added bonus of my sister visiting in Atlanta for the first show, and seeing the second show with both sisters, my brother and his wife, my one sister's husband, and their son, my nephew Conal, who is 8 and was at his first concert.  That was cool.

Hope you had a Yuengling while you were in town! ;D

I did but it's not the big deal it used to be since they FINALLY started selling it in Georgia this year.

I did bring back a couple of boxes of Tastykakes though!

ahh nice - i knew they've been expanding but didn;t know how far south they've gotten.  But nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a tastykake!

Hmm, I'm not old enough to drink but my friends who partake without legal permission like the Yuengling, and I like Tastykakes almost as much as Entenmann's, but I didn't not know they were mostly local things. I enjoy reading posts like this because I'm not well traveled and learning things about little differences is pretty cool.

As for live shows, I was checking on Jonas Brothers tickets because I thought I'd be able to resell them pretty high, and I was likely correct because their two shows at the IZOD Center and the two shows at the Wachovia Center are all sold out. Conversely, I checked on tickets for Demi when she comes to the Mann and the $53 ones are still available for Right Orchestra A Row N seat 40, which is pretty cool if I had disposable (or any) income, cared for the opening act, and was capable of committing to going to a show like that, but all of that is likely below me. I'm going to try to go to a few shows this summer though, I need to check who plays and where in the next few days.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »
yeah, tastykake has but 1 factory in Nicetown (and I think a second in Chester?) but they only distribute in a certain mileage radiun of the factory, you can't get them much past Harrisburg.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
yeah, tastykake has but 1 factory in Nicetown (and I think a second in Chester?) but they only distribute in a certain mileage radiun of the factory, you can't get them much past Harrisburg.

Hmm, that's pretty interesting. I guess other states are mostly Hostess and Little Debbie? Or maybe they have similar things to Tastykake that just distribute locally.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #283 on: May 18, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »
Actually you can find Tastykakes in a few stores down here, but it's pretty random and they usually only have a couple of flavors, not near the variety you see up there.  I stopped buying them down here because too often they were stale    >:(

The other amazing thing from NJ/Philly is Wawa.  Oh my god how cool would it be to have one down here.  Fresh sandwiches anytime.  YOu don't know how good you have it up there!  The dazzling array of Tastykakes by the pack.  Soft pretzels at the cash register.  And good stuff too, salads and cut up fruit and stuff.

The only thing sort of close down here is QT, and they don't have sandwiches and not much healthy stuff, although they do have an amazing assortment of sodas and coffee flavors.

The convenience store pastry options are generally Little Debbie and random local fare.  I avoid them; I figure I don't love them enough to ingest those kind of calories.  I save 'em for my Tastykake binges.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2009, 01:01:21 AM »
Right now I really wish you all were familiar with Philly Boy Roy.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:33 AM »
I do know of the Wawa scarcity outside of my area, though I don't think I've ever heard of QT. Wawa does kick ass though.

I'll check it out jbissell.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
A band called Big East in Boston. Bunch of young guys. Could be going places. The singer has a great stage presence.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2009, 10:01:18 AM »
Sadly, I did not know that St. Vincent would be playing in Philly tomorrow night, so I likely shan't be going to see that, but apparently Japandroids are coming in June and Cage is going to play in July. I would, at the very least, like to see Cage because I missed both Aesop Rock and Atmosphere when they came to play. Now if I can just find out if the Mountain Goats are playing around any time soon and I should be set.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2009, 10:25:52 AM »
Sadly, I did not know that St. Vincent would be playing in Philly tomorrow night, so I likely shan't be going to see that, but apparently Japandroids are coming in June and Cage is going to play in July. I would, at the very least, like to see Cage because I missed both Aesop Rock and Atmosphere when they came to play. Now if I can just find out if the Mountain Goats are playing around any time soon and I should be set.

NPR is broadcasting a St. Vincent show this week that should show up in the All Songs Considered Live Concerts feed.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2009, 10:50:18 AM »

NPR is broadcasting a St. Vincent show this week that should show up in the All Songs Considered Live Concerts feed.

Bad ass. I had a buddy who said he would have liked to go, but he's busy tomorrow night.

love