love

Author Topic: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To  (Read 115236 times)

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
Re: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To
« Reply #380 on: November 16, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
I haven't been to a concert in a long time. 

Last one I went to:  I flew to Dublin with two of my brothers for a U2 concert in 2005.  We stayed there for a week, saw the sights, and drank each other under the table in various pubs.   Good times.

nice - just did that this summer.  good times indeed.

Sweet!  Did you catch a U2 show, or did you go to hang out in Ireland?  (or are you from Ireland... I need to check your profile...)
The answers you seek are in Norway.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #381 on: November 16, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »
I haven't been to a concert in a long time. 

Last one I went to:  I flew to Dublin with two of my brothers for a U2 concert in 2005.  We stayed there for a week, saw the sights, and drank each other under the table in various pubs.   Good times.

nice - just did that this summer.  good times indeed.

Sweet!  Did you catch a U2 show, or did you go to hang out in Ireland?  (or are you from Ireland... I need to check your profile...)

no from the states but me & two friends went over for a week and did Dublin, Galway & the North Coast and caught the first two nights of their stand at Croke Park.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #382 on: November 26, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »
I'd be way excited to see the Mountain Goats on Saturday night, but I don't have anyone to go with and I imagine South Street is going to be way crowded. On top of that I fear that I will be unable to successfully navigate Philly at night on foot if I have to park way far away. Then there's the whole driving out of the city thing that always seems to give me trouble when I'm not at one of the sports stadiums.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #383 on: November 27, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »
btw FLY, my friends saw Jonas Brothers this(Thinks) tuesday? It was sometime this week.

Now, it was tuesday.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #384 on: November 27, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »
btw FLY, my friends saw Jonas Brothers this(Thinks) tuesday? It was sometime this week.

Now, it was tuesday.

Bad ass, those probably played their new stuff, which would make for a cool show.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #385 on: November 29, 2009, 01:07:54 AM »
The Jesus Lizard was great, although David Yow played it tame by his standards.  Turns out the crowd dropped him at last night's show and he had some rib damage.  The opening bad was one of the worst openers I've seen in a long while.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #386 on: February 26, 2010, 09:47:01 PM »
Amanda CINECAST!ing Palmer. At the CINECAST!ing Forum. Probably the best live music venue in Melbourne. If you come to the city, the Forum is a must see.

I've decided to go to this concert based entirely on following AFP on Twitter and a familiarity with Coin Operated Boy by the Dresden Dolls. So don't ask what the songs were, because I've no idea.

We arrive after the first support act but in time to see the second. They're good, a guy called Mikelangelo and his backing band. Sort of folk/metal/punk. Awesome. But very much the same throughout the 45 minute set. Which is a shame. A little more variety and it would've been brilliant.

A short break. Amanda comes on. Starts performing. About midway through the first track she accidentally turns the keyboard onto Harpsichord. Of course, it's covered in lyrics, so she can't see to turn it back to piano. On comes the support act to help, but he turns on the drum/rhythm thing, and it's all going wrong. She stops, turns it back to piano, picks up where she left off. The audience loves it.

It's brilliant stuff. There's a string quartet who are great, and add so much to the show. She's performing old stuff and new stuff and extremely new stuff, including the following.

Amanda Palmer - Vegemite (The Black Death)

I've no idea how much sense it'll make to Americans, but the audience loved it.

She covered a recent Regina song with the first support act, the ones I missed, and then on comes Paul Kelly. If you don't know this guy, look him up. Australian music royalty. And you probably know him without realising it. Then on comes Mikelangelo and his band, and Mick Harvey of the Bad Seeds. CINECAST!ing awesome. They cover a Nick Cave song (I'm assuming, it definitely had that feel). Then Paul and Mick exit. Mikelangelo and band stay. Play a new song. Then Amanda literally teaches the band Leeds United on the spot cause it's been requested. Now I don't know the song, but I suspect it doesn't sound anything like how it sounded last night, judging by Amanda's expression throughout. But that doesn't mean it was the highlight of the evening.

She finishes the official part of the evening by playing Exit Music (For A Film) with the strings. Then comes back on to do Girl Anachronism and Jack. Then exits, climbs into the rafters with the good ole ukulele, and out comes Creep. The whole audience is singing along. It's crazy.

It's potentially the best show I've seen. I probably enjoyed Sufjan Stevens more, but probably because I knew the music going in. Just a crazy awesome show. The kind you don't expect.

Awesome.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #387 on: March 01, 2010, 09:24:33 PM »

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #388 on: March 14, 2010, 04:32:44 AM »
Nothing delights me more than to see Ted Leo & the Pharmacists do their thing live. So good.

On twitter I compared the first of the opening bands to Blueshammer (if you've seen Ghost World you know it's no compliment). Ted sent me a DM pretty much agreeing with my assessment. Made my night.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #389 on: March 18, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
New Young Pony Club. Not very good at all, really. Roll on Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip next week.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."