love

Author Topic: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To  (Read 115142 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To
« Reply #450 on: November 04, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
Going to see Blitzen Trapper tonight at the Paradise. Should be a fun time.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2010, 08:38:19 AM »
The Charlatans (or Charlatans UK, as theyre known in America), with Shaun Ryder supporting at Birmingham Academy. Charlatans were fine, rolled out the hits, pleased the crowd. The big surprise of the night was definitely Shaun Ryder - he looked fit and healthy (and clean!) and as if he was actually enjoying himself and played an absolute blinder! Tight band behind him, the bass rattled through the arena, played some new stuff which sounded a lot better than id imagined it would along with rolling out a few Mondays and Black Grape tunes, which the crowd went abso-bloody-lutely mental for! Great, great set!!!

BTW - anyone planning on attending a gig in the main room at the Brum Academy - go to the toilet before you come out, because the toilets at the venue are awful.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2010, 01:16:28 AM »
Wow, so that was awesome.  Are Sufjan shows always this big a spectacle or has Lady Gaga just forced him to up his game?  The light show was projected on 3 different screens, a backing screen for images, an occasionally used scrim at the front of the stage, splayed with fractal patterns and back-lit silhouettes and, for a brief period, even a Diamond descended residing somewhere between the two in both location and utilization.  The band seemed to come out of the liner notes from MGMT's Oracular Spectacular, decked in feathers, crowns, and an assortment of Halloween by way of a warehouse rave costuming. "Infinite Soul" lasted for at least 30 minutes and it was near transcendent.  Beach balls kicked out from the day-glo dancers bounced off the gilded moldings of the Academy of Music.  The audience, seated for the previous hour, were roused to their feet. Throwing off the stuffy imposition of the environment, they danced and clapped like they were finally enjoying a pop show and not just observing it.  Sufjan simultaneously conducted his band from an oak podium, indulged in lengthy explanations of his thoughts and inspirations and wore bird wings occasionally - he's quite a funny guy.

If the tour comes by you, see it.  (well, Boston & NYC at least think he goes oversees after that).

Sufjan Stevens - "Intro to Vesuvius" live in Philly (11/10/2010)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:25:59 AM by ¡Keith! »

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »
Wow, so that was awesome.  Are Sufjan shows always this big a spectacle or has Lady Gaga just forced him to up his game?

Last time I saw him was on the Illinoise tour. Spectacle it certainly wasn't, indie cute most definitely. Like they were all wearing matching University of Illinois looking cheerleading outfits. And I think there were maybe some butterfly wings involved.

The band seemed to come out of the liner notes from MGMT's Oracular Spectacular, decked in feathers, crowns, and an assortment of Halloween by way of a warehouse rave costuming.

That's the kind of thing that is a real turn off for me these days.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »
The band seemed to come out of the liner notes from MGMT's Oracular Spectacular, decked in feathers, crowns, and an assortment of Halloween by way of a warehouse rave costuming.

did you see the space hippy with the casio?!?

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #455 on: November 11, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »

did you see the space hippy with the casio?!?

Sure.

rambler

• I don't object to a reasonable amount of trouble.
« Reply #456 on: November 12, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »
They found a way to weaponize Ecstacy?
"It's Subjective": an experiment in why we like what we like
http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=9585.msg558331#msg558331

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »

Blitzen Trapper always puts on a good show.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #458 on: November 13, 2010, 03:26:03 AM »
LCD Soundsystem supported by Hot Chip; CIA, Cardiff

Well this was a different experience from my proper gigging days. For one thing I usually spent most of my time on the floor being helped up, all very friendly but pretty rough. Kept out of trouble this time. The CIA is a bit of a barn in the middle of Cardiff, cold and impersonal, about 10,000 capacity; a terrible bar arrangement and awful drinks at rip-off prices. These places make you feel like you are being processed rather than entertained, so the bands had to fight the venue. I preferred places like the Town & Country Club in North London, purpose built for gigs and clubbing, with an old time dance hall feel. This is a place they can turn into an exhibition hall, so very impersonal.

These two bands playing electronic based dance music could be seen as quite similar. Both percussion heavy; James Murphy even tried to make out sometimes they switch which one is the headline act. However Hot Chip are pretty one note. One big hit, Over & Over surrounded by some non-descript other stuff. The lead is a very small man with a reedy almost feminine voice. They couldn't warm up this big space. However they were a sucker punch opener for LCD, really set you up to be blown away by the main band, which is why I could never see LCD opening for them.

A nice touch when Hot Chip's set ended with LCD personnel joining them onstage for a number, very good friends apparently. LCD opened with Dance Yrself Clean which starts off sedately, and then blows up into an epic number. Which it did! IT BLEW UP and stayed there for the next hour plus. They threw in a lightshow that looked like the alien communication scene from the end of Close Encounters and tried to blow all the windows out in similar fashion. Or perhaps I am really just getting old. It was wonderful, no intention of dancing, not had enough to drink, but we swung. I like that LCD, already a great band moved on with the This is Happening album and added a Talking Heads vibe. Drunk Girls will always go down well in Cardiff (maybe Charlotte Church was there), and Daft Punk... & I Can Change were great. They beefed up some older songs, transforming them- Yeah went from a plinky plonky number to something the Arcade Fire could belt out. They finished with Home, a very good choice. Long songs stretched out live left you wanting more (no N American Scum or One Touch), but a perfect gig anyway. A guy this talented isn't going to disband LCD and not do anything else. I'd recommend anyone to go see LCD live.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #459 on: November 13, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »
nice review - seen LCD 4 times now (actually opening once for Arcade Fire!) and they never disappoint.  Yeah is one of their best live tracks, they just whip up a frenzy with that one. 

love