love

Author Topic: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To  (Read 115237 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To
« Reply #530 on: October 23, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »
Odd Future was even more dank in Philly than they were in Chicago. I did get pretty pissed because they teased their best song, "Swag Me Out" at the end for an encore by saying "Oh yeah, we were going to do this one since we have almost everyone here, so lets do it." And then they only did the first two verses! Give me some Hodgy and Taco!

My friends and I were on the balcony, so we avoided the crazy crowd. However, FLY always yearns to be down among the crazy crowd, it makes him come alive.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #531 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
Odd Future was even more dank in Philly than they were in Chicago. I did get pretty pissed because they teased their best song, "Swag Me Out" at the end for an encore by saying "Oh yeah, we were going to do this one since we have almost everyone here, so lets do it." And then they only did the first two verses! Give me some Hodgy and Taco!

My friends and I were on the balcony, so we avoided the crazy crowd. However, FLY always yearns to be down among the crazy crowd, it makes him come alive.

how do you like the new venue?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #532 on: October 24, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
I didn't do a ton of exploring, and for the most part they are all new venues to me anyway, but I thought it was a really great place for a concert. The standing floor in front of the stage was spacious, and even though the show was sold out there was no problem for people below if they wanted to walk behind the crowd or up to a slightly elevated section behind the light/DJ place.

The bar areas, which I only passed through because I wanted to be sure I had a good view of the stage from above, seemed aesthetically pleasing. Not sure about price/selection, but the presentation looked fantastic. From above you always have a clear view of the stage as well, so long as you get on the outside edge of the balcony. It's not like the Troc where the balcony is literally seats akin to what Eric Matthews sits on when he and Mr. Feeney go to the opera in that one episode of Boy Meets World, this is just additional standing room with a few bleachers towards the back. Waitresses kept coming around during the show as well taking drink orders, which was mighty dank. Not sure if they do that anywhere else though.

The only problem I had was exiting since the doors themselves seemed really small and were only fitting out a couple of lines of people at a time. Can't speak on the sound quality too well either because of my own inability to understand/process/write about acoustics and what not, combined with the type of music and performances that OF give, but I could hear the music and all the members well, so there is that. The light work was spectacular as well.

I had a good time and would check it out, plus we got street parking right outside of the venue, which was excellent for a quick getaway post show. A friend of mine and I are thinking of going back next Wednesday if St. Vincent tickets are still around come Monday, and of course if I get enough work done by that time. Overall I found a lot to enjoy about the venue and am excited to see what it's like with a more traditional musical act.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #533 on: October 24, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »
yeah, the Little Dragon/Questlove show was there last week and its definitely a great addition to the city's venues.  Great that R5 has a 1000+ place to call their own aside, there are also elevated platforms under the two balconies which put you about 3 feet above the floor.  thought the place sounded great.  Questlove was saying that the place was once one of the original Philly hip-hop rooms in the mid 80s called After Midnight or something like that - his mom wouldn't let him go there.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #534 on: October 24, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »
Ah, I forgot that's where that show was held. I am excited to hear a more musically intensive show there rather than a more swag me the CINECAST! out type of show.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #535 on: October 26, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
Don't go to concerts often but go to a lot of local live shows.  Almost every week or two I walk to a bar to see local singer Dawn Ho

http://www.dawn-ho.com/www.dawn-ho.com/Home.html

Saw her on Monday and was just one of those rare moments.  It was this lady's bday and she was out with her friends and hubby and had brought for 9 or 10 year old boy.  He got up on the stage and sang 2 songs and was very good.  First one he started out a little weak but got more confident and really nailed it.  Almost the whole bar was also singing with him by the end.  Then the mother and son sang something together. 

It is nice to have a bar I can walk to that always has live music and sometimes it just turns into something memorable.   

Otherwise, got to see Midori play Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto with the Singapore Symphony:
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #536 on: October 27, 2011, 01:10:48 AM »
Going to Tokyo this weekend, just checking what was going on and saw this Kaki King person is playing.  Going to try to go see her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9K1RXofEc

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #537 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:50 AM »
This time Childish Gambino (his album is streaming on NPR right now) was only so-so.

I am currently deciding if I should be missing class to see Jeff Mangum. Inclination says yes, though I guess I could just go to the Brooklyn show and not miss anything. So far away though.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #538 on: November 08, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
I am currently deciding if I should be missing class to see Jeff Mangum. Inclination says yes, though I guess I could just go to the Brooklyn show and not miss anything. So far away though.

If you can buy extras, you probably should. I imagine tickets will go fast and be in high demand. He's playing two shows in Chicago and I'm hoping to catch one.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #539 on: November 09, 2011, 07:59:48 AM »

If you can buy extras, you probably should. I imagine tickets will go fast and be in high demand.

I imagine this as well. I'm hesitant because I took a bath on OF and Gambino extras, but this is Jeff CINECAST!ing Mangum! Also, you know, I want to see him so hard. That Wednesday night in Philly is such a killer.

love