Author Topic: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To  (Read 115146 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To
« Reply #780 on: January 01, 2018, 03:16:53 AM »
The past two days I attended the EDM-heavy indoor festival Snowta here in Minneapolis and it brought to mind this review from a couple years back:

Under the Electric Sky: EDC 2013 (2014)

Watching this documentary, focused on a mass rave/EDM festival held in Las Vegas, I kind of see the person I wish I could be. The kind of person who could go out in a mass of people, to let go of myself and exist in the moment, to engage in the pure sensory and sensual nature of it. Instead, the crowds, with their disorder and chaos, would throw me into a panic attack. I'd be uneasy dancing with the music, concerned about looking foolish, even though no one else is paying attention.

Having now been present for an EDM festival (albeit one on a significantly smaller scale than EDC I can approach this from a different perspective. This was certainly a crowded festival just in terms of the density in most areas, but I found I largely tolerated that, usually by just placing myself in less crowded areas. However, watching those throwing themselves fully into it...the elaborate and often mockable dancing...the extremely skimpy outfits on many of the women it made me ponder if the inhibitions that keep me from engaging fully in the experience isn't a function of my personality (or relative sobriety) but is more caught up in gender identity. It isn't that I don't like drawing attention (or irrationally worry that I will) so much as I don't like drawing attention to me in male form. I don't feel entirely comfortable with this body so I try to not bring attention to it. If I could transfer my consciousness into one of these cute girls, it may be that those reservations would collapse and I would feel more at liberty to be the center of attention.

Failing that, my general feeling is as EDM goes, I'd rather just sit in a comfortable living room with some friends, turn on some good EDM, sacrifice my sobriety and just sit and lose myself in the music. I lack what I need to really appreciate what the setting of a festival of this sort offers.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #781 on: February 07, 2018, 03:05:00 PM »

Hopped up on the anticipation of getting home for the holidays, the Foo Fighters pulled out all the stops (and dampers, levers and earplugs) and gave SLC a stratospheric sound decibel scream spectacle, knowing they'd have a few weeks to rest their vocal chords before heading to Vegas for New Year's Eve. It's not like they didn't ask if it's what we wanted, because Grohl right from the beginning yelled, "Do you want to rock n' roll for the next three hours?" And of course the audiences did and of course the band was more than happy to comply.

Personally, my ear drums were wishing for a few acoustic moments to prepare for the next welcomed onslaught, but that's not what this evening was about. Nothing quiet was going to take time from all the loud they wanted to play... Lots of covers which made me think highly of their appreciation for those who had influenced them, new songs I wasn't familiar with, and plenty of older stuff.

Glad I went and had the experience, but the lyrics and dynamics would often get lost with the sheer volume of sound, so for me, this is more my speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xe0Qd6bUFo

Setlist:

Run
All My Life
Learn to Fly
The Pretender
The Sky Is a Neighborhood
Rope
Sunday Rain
My Hero
These Days
Walk
Let It Die
Times Like These
Breakout
Under My Wheels (Alice Cooper cover)
Another One Bites the Dust (Queen cover)
Blitzkrieg Bop (Ramones cover)
Under Pressure (Queen cover)
Monkey Wrench
Dear Rosemary (with Bob Mould)
Best of You

Encore:
Dirty Water
Breakdown (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover)
This Is a Call
Let There Be Rock (AC/DC cover)
Everlong

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #782 on: May 09, 2018, 06:07:18 PM »
Yeah Yeah Yeahs and LCD Soundsystem at the Hollywood Bowl

Sound wasn't great honestly. It was often muffled with moments of clarity, and it wasn't nearly loud enough. I've only been to the venue once before for Grace Jones and was in the very last row and thought it sounded great, so I'm not sure what was going on this time around.

I really like both bands, especially the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and it's weird thinking these little post-punk bands from New York are huge mainstream acts now. I'm getting old.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #783 on: May 23, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
Yeah Yeah Yeahs and LCD Soundsystem at the Hollywood Bowl

Sound wasn't great honestly. It was often muffled with moments of clarity, and it wasn't nearly loud enough. I've only been to the venue once before for Grace Jones and was in the very last row and thought it sounded great, so I'm not sure what was going on this time around.

I really like both bands, especially the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and it's weird thinking these little post-punk bands from New York are huge mainstream acts now. I'm getting old.

Jelly of that one! Saw LCD twice last year (inside club gigs) and they were on point. Haven't seen YYYs in a while though.

Caught Low Cut Connie's record release / homecoming show last week. It was everything that they're getting solid press for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae__S1OZrw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xJXeDclIg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3zUxTRvDgg

Also went to a Bad Religion show for the first time since college. It was awesome. It was also a beer festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVryxeyy-d4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5GZZ0ELEtw
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:36:53 PM by ˇKeith! »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #784 on: June 07, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
We went to watch Nubya Garcia last Tuesday, great performer and worth staying out so late on a work night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzWIJ-5bNAU
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #785 on: June 25, 2018, 03:26:29 PM »
Went to see Audra McDonald the other day, want to share a little story about it.

Just in case you don't know who she is, here's a little intro. She's a modern Broadway legend, and has appeared in such movies as the new Beauty and the Beast and Wit (a dramatic role in which she shines). So she does these tours and sings Broadway songs. I knew maybe four of them, but she's still impressively good.

She's also, unsurprisingly, a pretty left-leaning person. She had sprinkled in a few light political comments in during her banter, and the large (mostly 70+ crowd) clapped along like you would expect in upper-class suburban Mass. I noticed that the guy sitting next to me never clapped during these asides, but I also noticed that he had fallen asleep a few times during the concert (mid-afternoon is nap time, I guess).

So she finishes up and then comes out to do an encore and introduces it by talking about how we need to protect and love kids. Kids from all over, our own and others. During the uproarious applause, I hear the guy next to me mutter underneath his breath "Sure, let's care about ALL the kids, every one of them. Not just AMERICAN kids, but all of them." And thats when I remembered that old people aren't just cute and slow moving, but also often set in their ways. There's no way you could convince this guy that children from other countries should be treated like his own grandkids, and that's maybe the saddest thing that happened during a concert that featured a song about 9/11.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #786 on: September 25, 2018, 10:48:18 PM »
In between sets for Speedy Ortiz and Liz Phair.
Speedy Ortiz was on first - really awesome set.
Hey, nice marmot!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #787 on: October 11, 2018, 12:31:43 AM »
Saw these guys perform all of 2.0 the other night...

https://youtu.be/r4RPKqo18J4
Hey, nice marmot!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #788 on: October 11, 2018, 01:34:57 AM »
I was 100% certain Shirley Manson died recently. Did I dream that? Was there a hoax story going around?

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #789 on: October 11, 2018, 05:35:44 AM »
Maybe you are thinking of Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries), Martin?
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

love