love

Author Topic: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To  (Read 115211 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Live Music OR The Last Concert You Went To
« Reply #790 on: October 11, 2018, 05:58:02 AM »
Yeah I guess I could’ve gotten them conflated in my head

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #791 on: October 11, 2018, 09:33:04 AM »
I didn't know they were still making music together. I need to catch up.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #792 on: July 12, 2019, 07:20:20 AM »
The Killers put on a good show.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #793 on: July 12, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »
The Killers put on a good show.

Indeed, seen them twice...once in a small venue and once in an arena...and it still felt as involving even though I was about 30x further away.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #794 on: September 22, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
Due to the F1 Race this past weekend, caught the following acts:

Gwen Stefani
Muse
Larkin Poe
Red Hot Chili Peppers

I usually go for the 3 days but don't usually watch any of the actual race
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #795 on: September 30, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »
Checked probably the Biggest One off the concert list over the weekend. the Mountain Goats did a solo show at a new place in Philly. It was seated, but not in the way I expected, as they served food, so I was at a table with people I didn't know eating food, which would have been better if the person who bought the seat next to me decided to come, but they didn't, and I was opposite a couple.

Anyway, it was, predictably, everything I hoped for and more. John dipped pretty far back in the catalog, doing some songs that he hasn't done in years, even if he there are still a ton of personal favorites that occasionally get played which still escape me at these Philly shows. Played a song that was cut from In League With Dragons that apparently had never been played before, this really amazing new song was debuted, though he said it's unlikely to make the next album, and a decent mixture of newer tMG stuff that, thankfully, didn't lean super heavy towards ILwD or Goths, nothing from Beat The Champ either, all of which were fine, and I like all those albums a good deal, but saw the tours around each one. Plus he hasn't really been doing my favorites from each of them live, so it's alright. Still a woeful under representation of All Eternals Deck, though I guess he's mostly chopped that down to one or two songs that make the usual rounds. Unfortunately still no "Your Belgian Things" but I'm hopeful to see that at some point, and he has been playing more (and did different ones than the usual) from We Shall All Be Healed as that album kind of continues to, rightfully, have its moment, and is perhaps my favorite of their post-AHWT work. Speaking of, there were a couple of All Hail West Texas ones in there, but I think I've seen at least one, if not both, before, and neither was "Pink And Blue" or "Fall Of The Star High School Running Back" which I would have liked to see. Don't think there was anything from FFG either.

The encore did end with "Going To Alaska" which was incredible to see live, and my favorite "Going To..." song (except for maybe Maine, which I think I may like more), and I'm super jealous of the people in Frisco who get a chance to have three nights of solo shows in a row, I'd flip a shit seeing that. Do hope to get a chance to see another, but I know they don't happen super often or super local, this really was an awesome surprise when it got announced. I also was very close to the stage, which I always make sure to get there super early so I am, since I bought the highest tier the venue had or whatever, but the website was shitty and obtuse, though it worked out because I was right in the center.

Anyway, if anyone want to look over the whole setlist, it is posted here.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #796 on: December 02, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »
got the chance to catch U2 in Singapore last weekend. I’m an occasionally fan, I like some of the stuff from Joshua Tree and earlier, my high school years.  Not too much after that, so this concert worked out well since it was the Joshua Tree tour. The opening 4 songs were all done without any visuals, just the 4 members of the band jamming. For the Joshua Tree album, they move to a more elaborate stage show with lots of visuals and projecting images of themselves on the large screen. The encores went back to the more simple style.

Overall, all was good except for only Tiger Beer.  Could have had better choices.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #797 on: July 17, 2021, 08:29:19 AM »
Have tix for the Mountain Goats in Wilmington for September. Fitting that my last live show pre-COVID was Feb 2020 for my first ever solo tMG show (as incredible as I imagine, with John debuting “Picture Of My Dress” and closing the encore with “Going To Alaska”, two things you can’t really get with full band shows), and my first live show will also be a solo tMG show. Do wish it was in Philly though. And if it assumes Delta doesn’t cause more shutdowns.

Also bought a ticket to 100 gecs in Philly in December. Apparently sale proper (I bought via pre-sale) sold out very quickly and they added on an additional show the night before. Rather interested to see how 100 gecs is live. Union Transfer is where I saw Chuck aka Charli XCX in Oct 2019, and was a great show, think it’s also where I saw Death Grips though I’d have to check on that. Would be cool if 100 gecs adds to my list of unique performers (insofar as I consider them to be such and lack a better word atm) at that venue.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #798 on: July 17, 2021, 08:46:47 AM »
I guess I better start looking at what shows are coming to town. I would definitely go see 100 gecs, just to see. Just to know.

What's the best app or site to track concerts? I was using Bands In Town (or BandsInTown or however they stylize it), but it becomes cumbersome to put all my favorite acts into the app, since it doesn't properly link with Tidal. Need to find something else.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #799 on: July 17, 2021, 09:14:52 AM »
Went Bandsintown anyway, got a ticket for Cloud Nothings on November 2nd. Japanese Breakfast plays on November 4th, but I'm a little leery because it's at ASU/Sun Devil Stadium (not the whole thing, but a part of it, thing is gigantic and has a venue within the venue), and I'm not sure I want to kick it with the college kids.

Some of these concerts are so far in advance, I have no idea if I'll be available. Elton John, November 22, 2022! Like, I don't know what I'm doing that day. Hmmmm
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire