love

Author Topic: Apple Talk  (Read 37389 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Apple Talk
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2016, 12:45:12 AM »
If you aren't happy with PCs then why would you change? Unless there's a specific programme that runs better on Mac but those days of graphics being better on Mac are long gone I think.

Personally I've had one iMac in the same time Mrs Verbie has had 3 pc laptops but if she had bought an expensive laptop in the first place it might have lasted as long. So like I say why change unless pc's and windows are driving you crazy (which is how I feel every time I have to touch a pc...I feel instantly uncomfortable; but that's just because I'm used to the OS)
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2016, 01:28:40 AM »
 :) Thanks for your thoughts on this!

I like my PC. I know my PC. I'm just getting some outside pressure to try something new. Using my son's iMac, gives me the same uncomfortable feeling, you're having with the PC, but I'd like to think that I could get over that, if I do switch over. I want to be adaptable. The one thing I've heard, that I want, is the Mac is more secure with online money matters, such as banking. Don't know if it is true, or not.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2016, 04:12:59 AM »
If you are not using Windows 10, I think it is worth trying.  I was never much of a Mac user though I understand those that love it.  As far as applications, I am not sure it really has any advantage in those that are common to the two platforms.  As far as hardware goes, I think Macs are quite nice and they closed system probably has less issues as well as options.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2016, 06:16:52 AM »
:) Thanks for your thoughts on this!

I like my PC. I know my PC. I'm just getting some outside pressure to try something new. Using my son's iMac, gives me the same uncomfortable feeling, you're having with the PC, but I'd like to think that I could get over that, if I do switch over. I want to be adaptable. The one thing I've heard, that I want, is the Mac is more secure with online money matters, such as banking. Don't know if it is true, or not.

If you get a new PC it will be Windows 10, so on the guess you are currently using Windows 7, so you will have a little learning curve moving to a new PC. You would be surprised at how small the learning curve is moving to Mac. 5 years ago we needed a new computer and I wanted a Mac and my wife was reluctant as she had only used PCs. I won. Libby took a little while to get used to the different interface (a couple of months to be completely comfortable with it), and no longer has any problems with it.

Security was one of the things I used to sell getting a Mac. These days, it is a little more vulnerable, not because the security problems weren't there before, but the user base has grown so the effort is a little more worth while. The small user base of the Mac is a form of protection as the time to find and exploit a security flaw it roughly the same for both PC or Mac, but you have such a bigger chance of having success in the PC world because of the larger user base. As long as you are careful (don't click on links in emails, etc) both the PC and Mac are acceptably secure.

I would choose a Mac, but I am biased.

Deal breaker: If you want a touch screen desktop, Mac is not an option.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #274 on: August 03, 2016, 08:20:17 AM »
At this point, Macs aren't that much secure than a PC. If you're using a PC, just make sure to use a browser that isn't Edge/Internet explorer because that's the browser that hackers target the most.

I think you're not going to get much out of learning a Mac at this point. Five or ten years ago, there were big differences and Mac was a lot better with media and audio/video stuff. Now, PC has just as good options and it's best to just stick with what you're comfortable with.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2016, 02:35:55 PM »
If you get a new PC it will be Windows 10, so on the guess you are currently using Windows 7, so you will have a little learning curve moving to a new PC.
I don't agree with that to be honest. Basically, Windows 10 has all the same functions as Windows 7 and mostly in the same places as well. It only gets confusing because it also has all the same functions that Windows 8 has at the same time. If you ignore those, it almost feels the same to me.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #276 on: August 03, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »
I have found there has been a little learning curve moving from 7 to 10 (I use PCs for work), not much but there.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #277 on: August 04, 2016, 03:03:41 PM »
Thank you guys!

I'm reading and contemplating on your words. You help me sort through everything, with your discussion. :)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »
When my Siri tells me it can't do something for me it does it in a female Australian accent. Lovely.  ;D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »
 :D

My Siri can't help me in a male Australian accent. Because of that, I forgive him anything.

love