Author Topic: Miller's Crossing (1990)  (Read 8947 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Miller's Crossing (1990)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »
I will try and watch this within the next week or so. Depends if I Master and Command a bit, Day Watch instead, Leo it up with The Aviator (or Gangs to knock out two pigs with one stone), or hop up on more animation ala Bondo.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »
Also, the score is fantastic. Probably one of my favorites.

RickyShifflit

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »
"What's the rumpus?"

As with most Coen Bros. films, this one gets better every time I watch it.

I am a sucker for 30's gangster talk, double and triple-crosses as it is, and this movie delivers on all of it.

The first time I watched Millers Crossing, I was immediately disoriented by all the names being dropped within the first 10 minutes of the film.  But after watching this for the second and third time, I am thankful for the Coen's throwing you into the action, making you feel uneasy and unsure of who to trust, and what angles people are going for.

Most definitely an overlooked movie in the Coen Brothers cannon.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue..."

rambler

• I don't object to a reasonable amount of trouble.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »
"What's the rumpus?"

I am a sucker for 30's gangster talk, double and triple-crosses as it is, and this movie delivers on all of it.

Challenge:
Find an excuse to say "Take your flunky and dangle."

Bonus Points:
+1 if you keep a straight face.
+4 if they dangle
"It's Subjective": an experiment in why we like what we like
http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=9585.msg558331#msg558331

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 09:18:45 AM »
It's in my top 10. The best Coen film imho, because;

- The Cast, Albert Finney on his own would be enough-Buscemi & Turturro.
- The Language. Byrne & Gay Harden-'I suppose you think you raised hell' 'Sister, when I've raised hell, you'll know it! 'etc.
- The action. Danny Boy is one of the great action scenes. His cigar doesn't even go out.

.....youse are all yeggs
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 10:59:21 PM »
A film I regret not getting to before the Top 100. Will definitely have it watched for next year considering I already own it and everything.

DarkCrystal

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »
What's great about Miller's Crossing s that the more you rewatch it, the funnier it gets.  Probably seen this a good 5-6 times now, and each time through more of the beloved Coen Brother's quirkiness comes out.  Their editing is superb in this movie...never ceases to amaze me.  And the script can basically be used as a textbook on scriptwriting...not a wasted word, completely minimalistic (as with all their scripts) and the humor and tension really jump off the page.  Reading the dialogue for Byrne's character is especially impressive, they shade his complexity in beautifully without ever violating show-don't-tell.

ZBetonte

• Film Jive
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
Very solid film.

It's classic Coen Brothers. I think the best thing about the film is how the Coens were able to capture the language of the time.
For a film released in 1990, it really seems like it could have been released in the 1930s.

I also love a lot of film references that are sprinkled throughout the film. The one that sticks out the most in my mind is the reference to Melville's Le Samourai and how the characters in Miller's Crossing all have the affixations with their hats... exactly like the Costello character did in Melville's classic.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
Very solid film.

It's classic Coen Brothers. I think the best thing about the film is how the Coens were able to capture the language of the time.
For a film released in 1990, it really seems like it could have been released in the 1930s.

I also love a lot of film references that are sprinkled throughout the film. The one that sticks out the most in my mind is the reference to Melville's Le Samourai and how the characters in Miller's Crossing all have the affixations with their hats... exactly like the Costello character did in Melville's classic.

And that forest scene. When I saw Le Cercle Rouge for first time I thought some of the frames were identical.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

JoeInTheHamptons

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »
One of my very favorites, and I think it's the Coen brothers' best.

I nominate Marcia Gay Harden's performance as the sexiest ever committed to film--and I'm thrilled that I got to tell her so at a recent anniversary screening!