Author Topic: 1SO vs. the 00s: Best of the Decade Marathon  (Read 155858 times)

StanTheSalesman

Re: 1SO vs. the 00s: Best of the Decade Marathon
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
This is an amazing thread, but Harry Potter 1 ahead of The Dark Knight? Ahead of Inglourious Basterds? What are you smoking?

I'm smoking the same thing he's smoking then.

That's a shame. Do you at least like good movies? Die Hard?

Ugh, I'm not going to get into a discussion where you're first reaction is, "You don't like what I like then you don't like good movies."  ::)

Are you saying you don't like Die Hard either? Everyone likes Die Hard!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »
This is an amazing thread, but Harry Potter 1 ahead of The Dark Knight? Ahead of Inglourious Basterds? What are you smoking?

I'm smoking the same thing he's smoking then.

That's a shame. Do you at least like good movies? Die Hard?

Ugh, I'm not going to get into a discussion where you're first reaction is, "You don't like what I like then you don't like good movies."  ::)

Are you saying you don't like Die Hard either? Everyone likes Die Hard!
But does everyone like it more to BTTF?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:44 PM »
I'm surprised it's taken this long for the revolt of "How can film x > film y?"  I thought this marathon was going to derail right at the top when I had to explain why I'm Not There would not be making the list.

I'll simply refer you to Buffy v. Angel, which states...
"Angel may contain none of the low points of Buffy, but it also doesn't hit the high points as often.  It's a more consistent piece of artistic achievement, but that neither includes nor excludes it from being a better one."

I could pick apart HP1, TDK and IB, but they are all really good films.  Trust me, something will come up in the Top 50 that will really upset people, just as the exclusion of certain films will have the same effect.  (Thankfully, lotr-sam0711 already knows not to hold breath for The New World.)

And Die Hard is the greatest action movie ever made.  It's in my Top 10 Films of All Time.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »
(Thankfully, lotr-sam0711 already knows not to hold breath for The New World.)
It's an acquired taste. ;)

StanTheSalesman

« Reply #234 on: March 09, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »
1SO. Your logic makes sense. And I feel the same way about Buffy and Angel. I still think Harrpy Potter 1 is mostly a mediocre film, but to each his own.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
I thought this marathon was going to derail right at the top when I had to explain why I'm Not There would not be making the list.

Because it would be impossible to justify placing I'm Not There as a top 100 film of the decade due to its mediocrity?

Anyway, I took your HP1 argument about establishing the setting in stride even if I didn't necessarily agree. The point isn't agreement, it is the logic of the argument, seeing why someone might feel the way they do.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Best of the 00s: [REC]
« Reply #236 on: March 09, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »
If Cloverfield is J.J. Abrams take on single-camera horror, I believe [REC] is how Joss Whedon would do it.

Don't you dare insult Whedon like that! ;D

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #237 on: March 09, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »
In the book, weren't the Sheriffs musings about the nature of evil spaced throughout, and not loaded so heavy towards the final section? 

I haven't read the book, so I can't compare, but his musings are spread throughout the film, right from his opening narration.  They're intercut with the Moss/Chigurh story though, such that the experience of them doesn't telegraph their thematic significance, but rather they feel like a necessary pause in the action, a chance for you to catch your breath before diving back into the suspense.

It's not so much that the film shifts abruptly in tone or genre (like From Dusk Til Dawn) but that we're made to see that the movie we've been watching is not the movie we thought we were watching.  In fact, it's a movie about the kind of movie we've been watching.

Bell is always telling the story.  We just become so involved in it that we forget that for awhile.  The ending makes the film something much larger than a suspense thriller.  There's nothing wrong with being simply a genre film, of course, but the Coens have more ambition than that and that's what makes the film great.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #238 on: March 09, 2010, 11:21:45 PM »
The ending makes the film something much larger than a suspense thriller.  There's nothing wrong with being simply a genre film, of course, but the Coens have more ambition than that and that's what makes the film great.

This is where we have a very basic disagreement.  I thought the film was already SuperAplus great genre picture until the Coens got too ambitious.  They told the story with superior greatness, and when they went for greatness it hurt the story.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Best of the 00s: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2010, 12:04:57 AM »
Best of the Decade Marathon Update

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

2nd Viewing
Kim Ki-duk’s greatest film, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring is a minor masterpiece of quiet simplicity that I feel bad saying anything negative about.  It really does nothing wrong, telling a series of short stories that teach simple life lessons about humanity.  The film is full of culture and wisdom.  The script is literate, highly original yet very precise in what it wants to say.  The images are beautiful shot, everywhere you look is pretty.

I talked about the joy of Amelie and how there’s still much more to the film than I’ve been able to take away from my many viewings.  With Spring, Summer… there’s more of an admiration, a respect.  This is a film I regard very highly, but it really is from a different world.  One I do not fear, but I can barely grasp.  I wish its themes – which are often very simple – were easier for me to embrace. 

The ‘Winter’ section, for example, is easily the most beautiful, but there’s a lot to it I really don’t understand.  That normally is when I check out of a film, yet this is my favorite section.  It’s strange, but clearly done with immense skill, and almost hypnotic in its movements.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring is definitely a film I suggest people looking for good art house cinema experience at least once.  There’s a strong chance you may embrace it.  I don’t quite reach that level of admiration, but I come close.

My Current List...
54. Amélie
55. The Bourne Ultimatum
56. 2046
57. The Lives of Others
58. Gangs of New York
59. Mission: Impossible III
60. [REC]
61. Sin City
62. Monsters Inc.
63. The Royal Tenenbaums
64. Serenity
65. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
66. No Country For Old Men
67. District 9
68. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
69. Shaun of the Dead
70. Fantastic Mr. Fox
71. Almost Famous
72. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
73. Grindhouse
74. Into The Wild
75. The Magdalene Sisters
76. In Bruges
77. Million Dollar Baby
78. Grizzly Man
79. Inglorious Basterds
80. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
81. The Dark Knight
82. North Country
83. The Last Kiss
84. Bloody Sunday
85. Moon
86. Sexy Beast
87. Cold Mountain
88. X-Men
89. Whale Rider
90. Super Size Me
91. Akeelah and the Bee
92. Interstella 5555
93. The Departed
94. The Mothman Prophecies
95. Dirty Pretty Things 
96. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
97. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
98. Better Luck Tomorrow
99. Hustle & Flow
100. Road to Perdition

Highly Recommended, but dropped from the list...
Blade II,Charlie's Angels, Chicago, Drumline, Infernal Affairs Joint Security Area, Lost in Translation, The Pianist, School of Rock, Spider-Man 2, Touching the Void, Versus, The Visitor, X2: X-Men United, Zoolander

Coming Up soon...
A Bittersweet Life
Brotherhood of the Wolf
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:26:29 PM by 1SO »

love