Author Topic: February 2010 Write-ups: Best of the Decade  (Read 25618 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: February 2010 Write-ups: Best of the Decade
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »
I never got the love for this film. Yea, it's cute,whimsical, funny and beautiful but it just never came together into anything great for me.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
I never got the love for this film. Yea, it's cute,whimsical, funny and beautiful but it just never came together into anything great for me.

Well - although I think I liked it more than you, my A- is somewhat of an agreement.  It's not "all-time-great", but it is very very good:  gorgeous and a whole ton of fun :)

Does anyone know - is this the originator of the whole "roaming gnome" thing?  If so - it has its place cemented in film history, that's for sure!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »

Does anyone know - is this the originator of the whole "roaming gnome" thing?  If so - it has its place cemented in film history, that's for sure!

wikipedia:

Origins

The tradition was first recorded in Australia in the 1980s. Although not definitive, the following blurb appeared in the Regular Shorts feature of the Sydney Morning Herald of September 24, 1986: 'An Eastern suburbs gnome-owner was distressed when she discovered her gnome had been stolen at the weekend. A note was found in its place: "Dear mum, couldn't stand the solitude any longer. Gone off to see the world. Don't be worried, I'll be back soon. Love Bilbo xxx."'

UberGeekyGirl

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
I love this movie. Its in my top 10 definitely.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:08:09 PM by UberGeekyGirl »
"Sometimes it's only madness that makes us what we are." - Batman

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »

wikipedia:

Origins

The tradition was first recorded in Australia in the 1980s. Although not definitive, the following blurb appeared in the Regular Shorts feature of the Sydney Morning Herald of September 24, 1986: 'An Eastern suburbs gnome-owner was distressed when she discovered her gnome had been stolen at the weekend. A note was found in its place: "Dear mum, couldn't stand the solitude any longer. Gone off to see the world. Don't be worried, I'll be back soon. Love Bilbo xxx."'

Thanks Clovis - I should have assumed the tradition dated back further than 2001.  Time gets screwy after your 40th birthday
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
I like you. Totally awesome Ferris.

:)
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 04:10:24 PM »

wikipedia:

Origins

Thanks Clovis - I should have assumed the tradition dated back further than 2001.  Time gets screwy after your 40th birthday

Is there anything wikipedia does not know?  ;D

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 04:12:48 PM »

After the 45 minutes trying to pull that review together I was way too lazy to look it up myself!
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »

After the 45 minutes trying to pull that review together I was way too lazy to look it up myself!

I got your back man. Anytime.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 06:10:11 PM »

Well - although I think I liked it more than you, my A- is somewhat of an agreement.  It's not "all-time-great", but it is very very good:  gorgeous and a whole ton of fun :)

Yea, I still like it a lot so I guess we're on the same page. (Although I'd give it a B+)

love