love

Author Topic: Stand-Up Comedy  (Read 14697 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Stand-Up Comedy
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
I know she can be a very divisive subject, but Amy Schumer's The Leather Special was pretty good. Suuuper dirty, but I dig her self-deprecating stuff.
I thought this one was pretty disappointing. I still gave it 5 stars just to offset a couple of the trolls.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2017, 12:03:53 AM »
Trevor Noah: Afraid of the Dark - meh
Katherine Ryan: In Trouble - Pretty good I thought. Got a couple of strong laughs. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »
Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King

This was A-superplus as a one-man show if not as a comedy set. I only qualify it because he has a knack of switching gears back and forth between funny and serious to a greater degree than most.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »
I've liked what I've seen of him, gotta check that out.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2021, 09:11:24 PM »
The Closer - Dave Chappelle

Comedy is a place where I feel like people can be honest and joke about controversial things without having their heads ripped off. In a sense, if comedy becomes just another safe space, then comedy is dead. That's probably true for most art, but comedy is at its most effective when its dealing with social, cultural, and political issues. Even better when it plays on the border of appropriateness or acceptability, because that's where a lot of truth can come out. Otherwise, what does safe comedy really look like?

With that preamble aside, Chappelle delivers a special that would have him go out at a low point if this is his last work. When he's able to contrast feminism and LGBTQ+ struggles with Black struggles without looking over his shoulder for the outrage and backlash it might bring to him, he puts out his best jokes. He nails the racial issues that make fully identifying with these struggles as a Black person more difficult. When he starts directly engaging with the LGBTQ+ community, it falls apart. He lines up stories and tells jokes that he seems to think will make people understand that he's not transphobic, but then says brazenly, stupidly, disturbingly that he's "Team TERF". He shows shock and anger at being told he's "punching down" on LGBTQ+ people, especially trans people, then he does that very thing. The more backward-looking and self-justifying a comedian is, the worse it's got to get. I'm not an expert in this area, I pretty much just watch Dave Chappelle, Trevor Noah, and the Chappelle/Noah/Jon Stewart-adjacent comics, but I do know that if you have to give footnotes to your own comedy, that the jokes just aren't effective; or, you're just a bigot and have some things to work out. I'm not sure I'm ready to say he's a bigot since I never thought he was transphobic, only that he was making edgy jokes in a continuing monologue meant to help him better understand the struggles of people not like him, which is useful and a worthy endeavor, but this last special feels a bit like someone trying too hard to seem not-bigoted. I'm a huge fan of his, will continue to check for him if he does come back from this, but next time I hope he can let the jokes speak for themselves.

Internet chatter seems to be concerned, at least to some level, about cancel culture running rampant over Chappelle. Just another example of the misconceptions on the existence of a thing called "cancel culture". Dave Chappelle just got paid millions upon millions to put out his art, and if Netflix didn't censor him on this, then to say he's anything close to canceled is absurd. Chappelle himself makes a point of taking up DaBaby's cause, not because he didn't do anything wrong, Chappelle says that he definitely did, but because he's young and stupid and saying stupid things should not forever strip you of your livelihood. Chappelle is being as paranoid as the people who scream "cancel culture" every time someone gets checked for saying bigoted things. And honestly, how can you blame people for not wanting to support DaBaby after the things he said? But back to the point, no one has been canceled over any of this, not Chappelle, DaBaby, or anyone else. They're just getting piled on online for questionable words. That's not cancelation. It's a crazed mob, but like Chappelle says about Twitter, it's not a "real place". For not being a real place, he and many reactionaries seem to get way bent out of shape over it.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2021, 11:11:31 PM »
I just got bored because the jokes weren't funny. Tuned out after 20 minutes. :-\

love