love

Author Topic: Bondo's 200X  (Read 42490 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Bondo's 200X
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »
Wendy and Lucy

This seems a very fitting movie for the times. While it takes place before the global recession and looks more at the plight of small towns in post-industrial America, the backdrop works now even more. It kind of highlights the lack of opportunity and support faced by American youth. Wendy's decision making certainly isn't flawless, and like another journey to Alaska in Into the Wild, there is perhaps a little youthful ignorance in not having sufficient backup plans. In some way it seems to suggest you have to lose everything, kind of hit bottom, before having the freedom to succeed.

While this is a nice little film, I can't say it jumps out to a special level.

Rating: 3/5

I have 10 slots left in my GooseEgg marathon and I've put this in and out of consideration about 12 times.  Your review got me excited with the Into the Wild comparsion, but your "special level" comment scares me off again.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
Wendy and Lucy

This seems a very fitting movie for the times. While it takes place before the global recession and looks more at the plight of small towns in post-industrial America, the backdrop works now even more. It kind of highlights the lack of opportunity and support faced by American youth. Wendy's decision making certainly isn't flawless, and like another journey to Alaska in Into the Wild, there is perhaps a little youthful ignorance in not having sufficient backup plans. In some way it seems to suggest you have to lose everything, kind of hit bottom, before having the freedom to succeed.

Oh, Bondo  :'(  :'(  :'(

Sorry it didn't work for you. Have you seen any of her other films? I have been slowly pushing Old Joy to the top of my queue every so often.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2010, 02:28:37 PM »
I so wanted to like Wendy And Lucy. It seems like such a good natured film, and America does need more movies like this, but there were too many problematic elements for me.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2010, 04:56:21 PM »
Wendy and Lucy

Oh, Bondo  :'(  :'(  :'(

Sorry it didn't work for you. Have you seen any of her other films? I have been slowly pushing Old Joy to the top of my queue every so often.

I use Netflix ratings system, 1 means hated, 2 means didn't like, 3 means liked, 4 means really liked, 5 means loved. This probably makes my ratings look harsh compared to some, but I try to avoid grade inflation (I shoot for a reasonable approximation of a normal curve without actively thinking about it). So "didn't work for you" might be more negative than I wished to imply. I haven't seen her other films.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Il Divo
One of these things is not like the others. After a marathon of slower, smaller films, Il Divo ends it with glitz and an often manic pacing. I can certainly see why some would like Il Divo. However for me it did not do enough to rise beyond the burden of being essentially a mob film. It just isn't a genre that tends to appeal to me because I am not able to be particularly interested in the plights of horrible people. Pretty much all I needed of this movie was the text introduction setting the context. I already knew Italy had/has one of the least functional, most corrupt governments in the developed world. It is not really surprising that this type of story could play out there.

Rating: 1/5

Final Marathon Rankings
1. Silent Light
2. Late Marriage
3. Together
4. 12:08 East of Bucharest
5. Wendy and Lucy
6. Capturing The Friedmans
7. Three Times
8. Il Divo
9. Keane
10. Unknown Pleasures
11. Yi Yi
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:49:48 AM by Bondo »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »
It's too bad you didn't like more of these movies.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2010, 11:29:22 PM »
It's too bad you didn't like more of these movies.

Indeed. Good marathon nonetheless.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »
Yi Yi

I bumped this from the marathon because it wasn't on Instant, but I am including it as a bonus entry and it is a fitting one, as it has many of the faults that were present in many of the entries here. I have to admit, I turned it off after an hour. The idea of two more hours of this slow, incoherent mess sounded extremely painful. All the bits and pieces didn't seem to add up to anything resembling a narrative, and there were too many inexplicably overwrought reactions; places where you had no reason to believe the strength of the emotional reaction.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »
Hmm, roujin will not be pleased with this one.

I should watch this film, but it's so CINECAST!ing long!

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
Yi Yi

I bumped this from the marathon because it wasn't on Instant, but I am including it as a bonus entry and it is a fitting one, as it has many of the faults that were present in many of the entries here. I have to admit, I turned it off after an hour. The idea of two more hours of this slow, incoherent mess sounded extremely painful. All the bits and pieces didn't seem to add up to anything resembling a narrative, and there were too many inexplicably overwrought reactions; places where you had no reason to believe the strength of the emotional reaction.

I disagree in every way possible, I really can't put into words how strongly I disagree.

love