Author Topic: Ever write anything? (book/short story)  (Read 5215 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Ever write anything? (book/short story)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
I got some screenplays if any of you would like to make a movie.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »
Saw this, had to post it.

Famous authors give their 10 rules for writing fiction
Loved this.

Some faves:

"You don't always have to go so far as to murder your darlings those turns of phrase or images of which you felt extra proud when they appeared on the page but go back and look at them with a very beady eye. Almost always it turns out that they'd be better dead."

"Do not place a photograph of your favourite author on your desk, especially if the author is one of the famous ones who committed suicide."

"Do be kind to yourself. Fill pages as quickly as possible; double space, or write on every second line. Regard every new page as a small triumph."

"Try to be accurate about stuff."

"Interesting verbs are seldom very interesting."

"Ted Hughes gave me this advice and it works wonders: record moments, fleeting impressions, overheard dialogue, your own sadnesses and bewilderments and joys."

"Think big and stay particular."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
I think this is what kills my desire to write the most. I either have an idea for a grand story without an actual sense of particular moment or just one really strong scene without any idea what the overall context should be.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »
I think this is what kills my desire to write the most. I either have an idea for a grand story without an actual sense of particular moment or just one really strong scene without any idea what the overall context should be.

Funny, that's how my ideas usually start. You just gotta stick with it. Add more shots of trees.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 04:38:44 PM »

Funny, that's how my ideas usually start. You just gotta stick with it. Add more shots of trees.
Funny, even before I saw Malick I almost always had a big tree somewhere in my story. So weird.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:30 AM »
Look, this likely isn't the right place for this, but I am looking for feedback here. I was unsure whether or not this worked longer or would have been better as three separate works. Also, just general thoughts/impressions/suggestions. I like this one a good deal, more so than most other things I have written, so I hope to refine it or something.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
Look, this likely isn't the right place for this, but I am looking for feedback here. I was unsure whether or not this worked longer or would have been better as three separate works. Also, just general thoughts/impressions/suggestions. I like this one a good deal, more so than most other things I have written, so I hope to refine it or something.

Take out the word "trains" and "telephone" and it will be wonderful.  Interesting description, but you tell too much.

Personally, I've written too much.  Most of it preaching, but some stories and some poetry (which was awful) and some non-religious essays.  A lot of non fiction.  I've written... 5 books, but been too scared to get them published.  I finally have a book I think might, possibly, be worth publishing.  I'm trying to figure out how to contact the publisher I like with a proposal that they will read and not just throw away at first glance.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:14 PM »
Ever think about having a writing group here?  We've got some marvelous writers, and I'd feel safer to share stuff with some of the folks here than most people I know.  Perhaps there's safety in the semi-anonymity.  It could be anything, not necessarily movie or non-movie related.  What do folks think?  Or is there something already and I didn't know?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
I published a chapter (technically co-authored two chapters but one I ultimately took over the bulk of it and the other I basically got edited out of) for a volume on education policy dealing with legal issues surrounding school choice and curriculum mandates and the like.

I used to write for my university newspaper and a few video game websites. Mostly reviews. Back before I watched more movies than is healthy I played more video games than was healthy (though at least I got compensated for it).

I did various policy briefs/reports for my prior employer.

I wrote a Sasha Cohen (the figure skater) fanfic short story in the style of James Patterson. Not bad for what it is.

I was cleaning out my room and happened upon the book where I kept all the poems I wrote. A lot is the sheer rubbish you'd expect from a teen/young adult but there are a few real gems IMO.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 06:37:55 PM »

Take out the word "trains" and "telephone" and it will be wonderful.  Interesting description, but you tell too much.

Personally, I've written too much.  Most of it preaching, but some stories and some poetry (which was awful) and some non-religious essays.  A lot of non fiction.  I've written... 5 books, but been too scared to get them published.  I finally have a book I think might, possibly, be worth publishing.  I'm trying to figure out how to contact the publisher I like with a proposal that they will read and not just throw away at first glance.

Interesting.

So, found out a few days ago that I'm 4 for 4 in this submission to publication rate in one of my college's literary magazines. Spring also seems to be a good deal better for me than the Fall issues as I have 3 poems going in again. Some haiku, one of many, this reflection of The Passion of Joan of Arc, and this one that I don't recall writing, but apparently was wash over from last summer[url]. I always enjoy when the longer ones get in there, they always feel like more complete thoughts.

love