love

Author Topic: Presenting Filmspotters Favorite Films  (Read 51197 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Presenting Filmspotters Favorite Films
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Nice write up!

I love that you included that snippet of her 'almost' touching the back of his head in the car.  I have probably 15 clips of that in my screenshots folder where I was trying to get the perfect one for my best of the decade slideshow.

I thought about debating this comment a bit....

I dont think it can ever become part of you, like it has for me, if you did not see the original as a 20-something, wait 10 years for the sequel, and see it as a 30-something. Your life must parallel Celine and Jesse's.

But I'll let you have it on the strength of the fact that the 10-year wait in between would have made the 2nd film even a more rewarding experience. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2010, 06:13:55 PM »
Before Sunrise was in my Top 50 of the 90's.  Sunset didn't take off for me until Jesse's frustrated moment of regret on the boat.  I loved everything after that as the hesitancy melted away.  I'm going to add Sunset to my Rebuttal Marathon.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »
Before Sunrise was in my Top 50 of the 90's.  Sunset didn't take off for me until Jesse's frustrated moment of regret on the boat.  I loved everything after that as the hesitancy melted away.  I'm going to add Sunset to my Rebuttal Marathon.

I would love to see your comments on a rewatch.

I thought about debating this comment a bit....

I dont think it can ever become part of you, like it has for me, if you did not see the original as a 20-something, wait 10 years for the sequel, and see it as a 30-something. Your life must parallel Celine and Jesse's.

Perhaps it is not fair to say you cant appreciate it the same in other circumstances, but I think back to back first time viewings can never produce the same longing I got with a decade between viewings.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:20:27 PM by Clovis8 »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »
Great writeup. I still have issues, but I can see why you love this film.

In a perfect world we would all be able to teleport in time and match our ages perfectly to get the optimum age to watch each great movie. And I do look forward to seeing Before Sunset as a thirty year old. Maybe if I just delude myself into believing it doesn't exist until I'm 30 I'll be able to connect to it like you have.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »

Perhaps it is not fair to say you cant appreciate it the same in other circumstances, but I think back to back first time viewings can never produce the same longing I got with a decade between viewings.

So true - In fact I forced myself to watch 19 films in between just to try to simulate the lapse in time.  Not the same....at all.

It is very much worth a "favorite" moniker.  Not sure where it's going to fall in my Top 100 yet...but certainly it made my BOD ballot.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2010, 08:44:39 PM »
I think my favourite moments in the movie are when they are discussing why Celine wasn't there at the train station that day 10 years ago or whenever. At first he says he wasn't there either, and I was thinking "oh noooo, is this going to hang over the entire movie?" But thankfully Linklater recognized that it's the honesty between the characters that is the most compelling thing and so he doesn't draw it out so long it becomes annoying. What follows is that hilarious moment where Jesse admits how much of a dork he was putting up signs and stuff, and Celine feels terrible. You feel for both of them. And then the movie carries on.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »
I'm doing my Mononoke essay now, and I've already two pages purely on just the Great Forest Spirit and the Boar Demon at the beginning.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
I swear Clovis, reading your write-up made tears come to my eyes, I am in just that kind of mood. and it made me remember why I love that movie so much.  Thanks,  :)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
I swear Clovis, reading your write-up made tears come to my eyes, I am in just that kind of mood. and it made me remember why I love that movie so much.  Thanks,  :)

glad you enjoyed it. :D

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2010, 11:35:14 PM »
Days of Heaven (1979)

Director/Writer: Terrence Malick
Actors: Richard Gere, Broke Adams, Linda Manz, Sam Shepard
Cinematography: Nestor Almendros (With additional footage shot by Haskell Wexler)
Music by: Ennio Morricone
Art Director: Jack Fisk

I can't do this film justice in one post so I won't try. Instead, throughout the coming weeks and months I will be dissecting the film scene by scene. Yes, that's right, scene by scene. I think the film is that good. I'll be placing a directory to each part here to each post so that I don't clog up the main directory. I'm also going to be posting these on my blog if you'd rather follow along and comment over there.

Opening Credits
Scene 1 - The Foundry
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:24:01 PM by lotr-sam0711 »

love