Author Topic: Presenting Filmspotters Favorite Films  (Read 51184 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Presenting Filmspotters Favorite Films
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 11:57:21 PM »
Great writeup.

Does it make me a movie nerd that during my cross country drive to college I made a point of stopping at the Devils Tower?

LOL!  Makes me feel better that this has been a lifelong goal for me!  Too bad it's really not on the way to anywhere!  (Except Mt Rushmore)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »
Great writeup.

Does it make me a movie nerd that during my cross country drive to college I made a point of stopping at the Devils Tower?

LOL!  Makes me feel better that this has been a lifelong goal for me!  Too bad it's really not on the way to anywhere!  (Except Mt Rushmore)

A dirty filthy lie.  Its totally on the way to Yellowstone Park.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 12:03:43 AM »
Great writeup.

A dirty filthy lie.  Its totally on the way to Yellowstone Park.

Funny. you mention this.  We did a Yellowstone trip last summer and we were working hard to fit in DT but the math (gas/time etc) on it just wasn't working out for us.  But yeah you're right.  It's close enough depending on what you're other destinations are.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 02:58:52 AM »
GREAT review, ferris!  One of your best, which is only appropriate.  If I didn't already love this movie (and have seen all the versions at least once), I would be rushing out to watch it right now!

One thing I must take issue with you, though-- 1980, we were CERTAINLY watching movies more than once.  I watched Star Wars at least 12 times in the theatre in 77-78, and in 1980, I saw Empire a few times and Airplane! and Any Which Way But Loose at least twice each.  And how many times did you watch Raiders, which came out the next year? 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 03:31:26 AM »
Ok, does this mean I should go out of my way to watch the Collecters edition first?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 04:07:09 AM »
Also, can someone help tell me how I can get screen captures on my mac?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
GREAT review, ferris!  One of your best, which is only appropriate.  If I didn't already love this movie (and have seen all the versions at least once), I would be rushing out to watch it right now!

You are too kind Steve :)

One thing I must take issue with you, though-- 1980, we were CERTAINLY watching movies more than once.  I watched Star Wars at least 12 times in the theatre in 77-78, and in 1980, I saw Empire a few times and Airplane! and Any Which Way But Loose at least twice each.  And how many times did you watch Raiders, which came out the next year?  

That is true actually.  In fact, if Purple Rose of Cairo taught us anything that habit has dated back since the dawn of cinema.  In 1977 ticket's were about $2.50 a piece and you could find a dollar mantinee.  Our family (of 8 ) went almost exclusively to the drive-in because a whole carload could get in for $4 and it was always a double feature with cartoons beforehand.   My dad knew how to spot a deal!  :)   If it didn't run at the drive in we didn't go see it.  

But you're right - in that era it was always bragging rights "I saw Star Wars 8 times!" people would say.  

(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
Ok, does this mean I should go out of my way to watch the Collecters edition first?

I think it would be hard to find one of the other two versions these days in North America.  In fact the original 1977 cuts were all but destroyed by Paramount except for one or two sets of reels to keep in their vaults.   Not sure what you'd expect to find in your part of the world.

The recently released Blu-Ray has the "Ultimate Edition" which is confusing because it's not a new cut.  It contains all three of the earlier cuts:  1977 Original, 1980 Special and 1997 Collectors. It has a number of deleted scenes, a cool "making of" documentary, and an interview with John Williams over the composing of the score.  Pretty cool stuff.

The TV cut of this is fairly decent.  Not chopped to death or dubbed like things like "Fight Club".  You are likely going to get the Special Edition if you catch it on TV.

I think any version is pretty much fine.  Just keep in mind that the inside-the-mothership stuff was not Spielberg's idea.  It was his compromise with Paramount to "finish his film" and release it to the theaters.
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
Great writing, great review. I'll have to watch it again soon.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »

I think it would be hard to find one of the other two versions these days in North America.  In fact the original 1977 cuts were all but destroyed by Paramount except for one or two sets of reels to keep in their vaults.   Not sure what you'd expect to find in your part of the world.

Yeah the bluray has all three versions. The most recent DVD has all the versions. Any other DVDs have the Collectors Edition version. The newest version of the film is definitely the way to go. It builds the main character a bit more and it has the ship in the desert scene. It ends up being a slightly better paced and more effective film. But the theatrical version is nearly as good. Stay away from the middle on with the inside of the ship though.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad