Author Topic: Presenting Filmspotters Favorite Films  (Read 51200 times)

Totoro

Re: Presenting Filmspotters Favorite Films
« Reply #210 on: August 31, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »
That word...midiclorians...seems familiar... but nope, can't remember where it may be from... ;) :P

This review was somewhat difficult for me. I don't see how anyone can't love STAR WARS, so writing a review/analysis/thoughts as to why I love it so much was a challenge. It's the kind of film where I felt that anything could happen. It's the kind of film that despite it's rigid structure, I felt that it took hold of the meaning of Stanley Kubrick's famous quote:

"If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed."

There's so much more I can say about it.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
Cool write-up, Totoro.  You've set me wondering again about the best time to watch it with my kids - I want them to love it, too. :)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »
Thanks!  That was a great surprise to see here tonight! Great write up.  Count me among those who stood in line for hours to see it in the theater back in '77, who memorized the "Story of Star Wars" off the 8-Track o'er many a family road trip, and sat with friends for hours debating what would happen to Darth Vader when "part II" came out (err..uh...part 5....)

Hey question - have you ever seen the Phantom Menace Review?  You probably should :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:27:25 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #213 on: September 01, 2011, 12:27:38 AM »
I'm a fan as well.  I watched Star Wars twelve times the summer of '77. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Totoro

« Reply #214 on: September 01, 2011, 12:41:39 AM »
I'm so jealous of you old timers, but glad that you share my love for the film!

Once at a screening of North by Northwest, the screener asked what other films he should show which led to people shouting out their favorite films. I shouted, "Star Wars!" No one joined in with me! Then someone yelled, "Blade Runner!" and several people jumped in. I like Blade Runner, it's alright, but it's no Star Wars. I was quite appalled that night at the human race. I really want to see it on the big screen. I think when I was little my parents took me to see the Empire Strikes Back Special Edition on the big screen. I'm going to hunt down a theatre for the original theatre for those 3-D showings when they come around.

If you know me, you probably know what #2 and #1 will be. I hope to write #2 by the weekend and #1 by next. I could do a series after this, haha. A review for every single film in my top ten. But I'll just work on #2 and #1 for now.

I wanted to do three because I feel like at any time they can interchange.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:45:11 AM by Totoro »

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2011, 12:45:24 AM »
@Totoro: What a wonderful presentation! I was admittedly always more of a Star Trek fan than a Star Wars fan. But of course I love the original movies, just not with the same heat as you do. Especially the first one is wonderful. Oh, and the intro.... Best musical introduction ever of a sci-fi movie, I think. I still get happy every time I hear it.

Your enthusiasm made me want to revisit it the three in the original series. Thank you for being such an inspiration!
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Totoro

« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »

Hey question - have you ever seen the Phantom Menace Review?  You probably should :)

Plinkett's? Yes, yes I have.

Or is there someone else's?

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2011, 12:47:13 AM »

Plinkett's? Yes, yes I have.

Or is there someone else's?

Yeah, that's the one. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2011, 04:24:46 AM »
I'm a fan as well.  I watched Star Wars twelve times the summer of '77.
Blimey I thought three times was a lot!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #219 on: September 01, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
It was an unspoken competition between us kids in the neighborhood.  My next door neighbors won with 21 times
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love