love

Author Topic: Lantana  (Read 3307 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Lantana
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:25:24 AM »
Lantana is an Aussie film that I gave another look on the plane ride over, and I was reminded of just how excellent it is.  It's about marriage and relationships and the potential for human suffering and fulfillment therein.  The script is spare but honest.  The actors are wonderful, fully realizing their characters.  The only little criticism is Barbara Hershey's performance (I think it's those lips!) but, oh well...
Texan Down Under

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: Lantana
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:52:10 AM »
Quote from: "saltine"
Lantana is an Aussie film that I gave another look on the plane ride over, and I was reminded of just how excellent it is.  It's about marriage and relationships and the potential for human suffering and fulfillment therein.  The script is spare but honest.  The actors are wonderful, fully realizing their characters.  The only little criticism is Barbara Hershey's performance (I think it's those lips!) but, oh well...

Saltine, I was wondering when you had scheduled to depart our little state.  Sad to see you go, but know you will enjoy your [summer] in Australia.  Is it weird to never have a cold season?  I expect that you will be typing in an accent soon.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Lantana
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »
Right-i-o, Mate!

The only time I miss the Texas winter is at Christmas.  I've been doing "hot at Christmas" for ten years now, but still can't quite get the hang of it.  I will say having grilled rock lobster and Aussie wine at the beach on Christmas Day does help!  Anyway, I'm now around the world in Western Australia, but you'll hardly notice the difference. :wink:
Texan Down Under

DarkCrystal

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 07:40:50 PM »
Saltine - Totally agree about Lantana...wonderful indie film, and I was pleased to hear it come up a few months ago in either Matty or Adam's top 5 Austrailian films (I wouldn't put it in my own top 5, but it's still a very well done movie). 

I'd use the words "delicately handled" to describe it; there are an awful lot of pitfalls and cliches that another writer or director could have easily fallen into.  I was real impressed with how the script was carried out, it didn't pander to what a mainstream audience would want fulfilled, and stays true to it's characters.  The dance sequence at the end between Lapaglia and his wife was masterfully handled...chalk full of intense, unspoken connection...an awful lot of wonderfully emotive subtext shines through with the sparse dialogue in that scene.   

My respect for Anthony Lapaglia, not that it was ever lacking, has gone way up since checking out some of his roles in indie movies like Lantana.  Another one where his performance impressed me was Winter Solstice, with Alison Janey, Ron Livingston (in a very random, and funny, supporting role), and the actor that plays Pyro in X-Men 2 as Lapaglia's son.  The guy is just rock solid throughout his body of work, and it's a shame in the 00's he's unfortunately so associated with Law & Order (or whichever run of the mill cop show he's on). 

Lola

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »
Vincent Colosimo gives a Knockout performance in this Film. Definetly needs to be seen by more people great pick
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
~ Shakespeare from the play As You Like it (1623)

Bibsy

• Cinephilia or: How I learnt to stop worrying and Love the film!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »
A tangled web is woven between several characters by the thread of 'Who killed Barbara Hershey?
Who cares?
Anthony La Paglia is wasted in this mediochre Australian drama. He gives a great performance, but I still glanced at the clock several times. *falls asleep*