Author Topic: March 2010 MDC write ups: Free skate!  (Read 12354 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
March 2010 MDC write ups: Free skate!
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:35:40 AM »
We will need this soon.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: March 2010 MDC write ups: Free skate!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »
Last Picture Show

This movie totally surprised me and that rarely happens. Of course, I had heard of it but I knew nothing about it. Somehow, nothing from it had ever filtered through popular culture.

To put it mildly I loved it. This is my favorite dictation since joining the forums.

I actually cant believe this film was made in 1971, let alone nominated for so many Oscars . It has to be one of the most sexual and erotic films ever nominated for best picture. The 1950's setting, and beautiful black and white cinematography, heighten the sexuality. Add to this the incredibly gorgeous Cybill Shepard, and you end up with highly sexualized film.

It has virgin sex, homosexuality, child sexual abuse, inter-generational affairs, extra-martial affairs, and full frontal nudity, both male and female. It was made in 1971! Not only does it contain all this sexuality, it is truthful in its depictions. The sex in the film is sometimes awkward, sometimes embarrassing, people dont know what they are doing. There is no "movie sex" .  

While the whole cast is great, the women own this movie. Cybill Shepard is the star in my opinion. She is great as the misguided femme fatale who knows her sexuality is powerful, but has no idea how to use it. Eileen Brennan is charming as the waitress. Cloris Leachman is great as a woman trapped in a loveless marriage who needs sexual attention and turns to a teenage boy.

This is THE coming of age sexuality film that all others should be measured against.

Grade: A+

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:14:51 PM by Clovis8 »

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:44 PM »
Nice write-up, Clovis. I need to check that out at some point.

(Whatever happened to Cybill Shepard, btw? Is she doing stuff still?)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »
I like that one too, Clovis.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:04 PM »
I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Clovis.  Saw it last year for the first time and really loved it.  Although I still regret not dictating Nausicaa or Zelig. :)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »

I wish she would.  I really liked her last sitcom.

Great write-up, Clovis, you've made me really look forward to this movie now.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Add to this the incredibly gorgeous Cybill Shepard, and you end up with highly sexualized film. This is THE coming of age sexuality film that all others should be measured against.

Didn't quite love it as much as you, but Cybill Shepard on the diving board is about the most perfect scene ever in that kind of authentically sexy sort of way.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »

Yes, Cybill is always keeping busy. She has been in a few different TV series over the past year (Psych, The L Word, Eastwick), a couple of TV movies, and in supporting roles in a few movies coming out now and later this year including: Another Harvest Moon, Expecting Mary, Barry Munday, Listen to Your Heart......no leads in anything though.......I think it is time Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd get back together to do a new project - either a movie or TV series - I don't mind what - as long as they have the moonlighting dynamic ;)

Great review by the way Clovis.

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »

Yes, Cybill is always keeping busy. She has been in a few different TV series over the past year (Psych, The L Word, Eastwick), a couple of TV movies, and in supporting roles in a few movies coming out now and later this year including: Another Harvest Moon, Expecting Mary, Barry Munday, Listen to Your Heart......no leads in anything though.......I think it is time Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd get back together to do a new project - either a movie or TV series - I don't mind what - as long as they have the moonlighting dynamic ;)

Good to hear - I haven't seen any of those TV series you mention. And I would love a Moonlighting reunion. :)

joem18b

• Godfather
    • does writing excuse watching?
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 01:39:04 AM »

Good to hear - I haven't seen any of those TV series you mention. And I would love a Moonlighting reunion. :)

Speaking of reunions, most of the cast of The Last Picture Show, including Cybill, and director Peter Bogdanovich, got together 19 years later and made Texasville. I liked Texasville, and I just liked the idea of the sequel, in the same way that I liked The Hustler, and The Color of Money 25 years later.  And I suppose it mattered that McMurtry and Walter Tevis wrote the sequels to the original books and that I liked those too.

love