love

Author Topic: Corndog Watches Your Favorite Film  (Read 64399 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Corndog Watches Your Favorite Film
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »
fantastical
Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)

I introduced myself to Hitchcock earlier this year and late last year with a marathon that entailed 19 of the master's first films. It included his work in Britain and honestly was hit or miss, but for the most part the work was promising and there were even a handful of great films in there. I have seen some of his other more famous works as well, and Psycho and Rear Window both made my most recent Top 100. Vertigo has been on my radar for some time now and I have always had an interest, even if all I knew about it was Hitchcock and Stewart. But honestly, sometimes that is all you need.

The story is pretty original and pretty great. It follows ex-detective Scottie (Jimmy Stewart) and his PI work for a college friend, Gavin Elster. He has agreed to shadow Elster's wife Madeline (Kim Novak), to see what she is up to, as Gavin believes her to perhaps not be of sound mind. What he gets himself into is somewhat of a mess of a situation, and somewhat of a romance, despite his good friend Midge standing by his side as he copes with a bit of Vertigo. The story is by far the strongest part of the film. It just feels so mysterious, so suspenseful, and so right. Hitchcock has never been a flashy director, at least not in my eyes, yet he manages to pace the film, and set the mood so perfectly for something like this. And sure, there are a few cool effects scenes I suppose, but it succeeds on story. And at the end of the day, Jimmy Stewart is immensely watchable for me.

I thought that the film being set in San Francisco was a perfect choice as well. The city is so beautiful, has such a great history, and remains mysterious as well. While I would not call this Hitchcock's best, and it probably won't make my Top 100, at least not on a first viewing, it is something of a major success and an immensely entertaining film to watch. It is something I can see seeking out from time to time in the future, just to make sure I didn't miss something and it is one fo the best films of all time.

***1/2

Next Up: The Bridge on the River Kwai
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »
It is absolutely one of the best films of all time. I hope you decide to see it again soon. Almost without exception, people tend to like it more the second time. It is one of those films that I would give anything to see for the first time again, because I can't remember why I didn't like it. Glad you enjoyed it!
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »
I've watched it several times and only found more to love with each viewing.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
. Almost without exception, people tend to like it more the second time.

I'm the exception.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2010, 11:20:15 PM »
It wasn't good enough to merit a second watching for me.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2010, 11:31:26 PM »

Wrong attitude. Vertigo is a film that many have needed a second viewing to fully appreciate.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 11:34:06 PM »

Wrong attitude. Vertigo is a film that many have needed a second viewing to fully appreciate.

I fully appreciate that I didn't really care for it the second time around.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 11:36:33 PM »

You're talking to someone who isn't willing to give a film a further fifteen minutes if the first fifteen minutes don't earn it. ;)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »

You're talking to someone who isn't willing to give a film a further fifteen minutes if the first fifteen minutes don't earn it. ;)

That's not the point. There have been plenty of films I didn't like upon first view that I now love. Opinions change with new perspectives.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2010, 06:47:13 AM »

That's not the point. There have been plenty of films I didn't like upon first view that I now love. Opinions change with new perspectives.

Name some, such things are quite interesting. For me, Pulp Fiction, Mulholland Dr. and Fargo all went from like 6/10's to 9.5/10's from first to third viewing.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

love