Author Topic: Corndog Watches Your Favorite Film  (Read 64406 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Corndog Watches Your Favorite Film
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2010, 02:04:18 AM »
Yeah, that guy isn't good. You're right about the acting in general, too, but the scares still work and it's only 80 minutes, I think.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2010, 05:24:48 AM »
I did not know about this thread. What a ripper idea!

Great write-ups all round Corndog.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2010, 05:24:53 AM »
I'm getting major deja vu from this thread.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
Halloween is a great great film. If you appreciate it you'll likely appreciate Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's got a similar vibe.
For the record Halloween is one of my favorite films of all time, yet I do not 'appreciate' Texas Chainsaw.  Too much weak acting from the kids, whereas the teens in Halloween are way above par for the genre.
Agreed. Chainsaw is a big step down from Halloween.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »
StarCarly
High Fidelity (2000)
Directed by Stephen Frears; Written by DeVincentis, Cusack, Pink & Rosenberg

High Fidelity. Alright, so here we go. The pressure is on. My BFF pal StarCarly's all time favorite movie. I saw it once before, back in Freshman year when I did not know anything. I kind of remembered it, but nothing specific. Did that mean I was not the biggest fan of it? I cannot rightly recollect. Without ever watching it, let me just point out some things about the film.

1. John Cusack, Jack Black: Ebert has been quoted as saying Cusack has never made a bad film, and I love Jack Black.
2. Dude owns a used record store: I love music, and people that love music. I need to get myself a turntable.
3. Love, and the creation of a Top 5 list: I like both of these things. A lot.
4. Mix tapes: I love making mix tapes too!
5. Tim Robbins, Catherine Zeta-Jones: Tim Robbins can be in every movie I see and I'd be happy and Cathy is sexy.

So there was my Top 5 reasons to like this film going into. Without ever having seen it. So what is the film actually about. Well, you guessed it. It is about a Chicago used record store owner (John Cusack) and his trials and tribulations with love, most notably with Laura (Iben Hjejle). That is it. That is the plot. There are some minor things here and there he must deal with, but that is the heart and soul of the film. And that is why it is so great. So why is it all time great? Well let me explain.

I remember back when I saw Amelie for the first time. I was amazed. Stunned even. I was blown away by the performance of Audrey Tautou, but more, I was blown away by the fantastic characterization. Here it is the same thing. We get to know these people so well. It is all in the little things. Like how Laura rubs her feet together an equal amount of times when she cannot sleep at night. Or how Rob rearranges his record collection autobiographically. Or what kinds of songs would make these guys Top 5 lists. It is amazing. The film also hits perfectly on so many little moments throughout. Most of them are a look by an actor or a touch or a feel here or there, but they are massively effective and ultimately heartbreaking at times.

I guess my only qualm with the film is that I wish it were more stylized and put to music even better than it already was. The style was fine, but I found it too be too conventional with a story like this. I wanted something that would catch my eye as well as stimulate my mind. I know that is a small quibble, but I can see this film being even better than it already is. But look. I loved the film. And more, I can see this being something that just increases in sentimentality and nostalgia the more and more I see it. I cannot say at this time that it holds any place in my heart, but I enjoyed a great viewing experience. To commemorate  the film, here is my Top 5 reasons why I liked it:

1. Jack Black: His style is so madly hilarious, I don't care what anyone else says. His spin moves are top notch.
2. Tim Robbins is literally one of my all time heroes.
3. John Cusack plays to the camera so well. 4th wall can be awkward sometimes, but he pulls it off.
4. Joan Cusack is totally great at playing John's sister!
5. Top 5 lists totally rock!

Next Up: Princess Mononoke? Sure, why not.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2010, 03:04:45 PM »
I would be really happy with your review if it wasn't for the fact that now I'm consumed with excitement. Go Corndog go!
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »
Yep, I agree on just about all counts.

Not sure why it's so fashionable to rag on Jack Black. the man is hilarious.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »
StarCarly
High Fidelity (2000)
Directed by Stephen Frears; Written by DeVincentis, Cusack, Pink & Rosenberg

High Fidelity. Alright, so here we go. The pressure is on. My BFF pal StarCarly's all time favorite movie. I saw it once before, back in Freshman year when I did not know anything. I kind of remembered it, but nothing specific. Did that mean I was not the biggest fan of it? I cannot rightly recollect. Without ever watching it, let me just point out some things about the film.

1. John Cusack, Jack Black: Ebert has been quoted as saying Cusack has never made a bad film, and I love Jack Black.
2. Dude owns a used record store: I love music, and people that love music. I need to get myself a turntable.
3. Love, and the creation of a Top 5 list: I like both of these things. A lot.
4. Mix tapes: I love making mix tapes too!
5. Tim Robbins, Catherine Zeta-Jones: Tim Robbins can be in every movie I see and I'd be happy and Cathy is sexy.

So there was my Top 5 reasons to like this film going into. Without ever having seen it. So what is the film actually about. Well, you guessed it. It is about a Chicago used record store owner (John Cusack) and his trials and tribulations with love, most notably with Laura (Iben Hjejle). That is it. That is the plot. There are some minor things here and there he must deal with, but that is the heart and soul of the film. And that is why it is so great. So why is it all time great? Well let me explain.

I remember back when I saw Amelie for the first time. I was amazed. Stunned even. I was blown away by the performance of Audrey Tautou, but more, I was blown away by the fantastic characterization. Here it is the same thing. We get to know these people so well. It is all in the little things. Like how Laura rubs her feet together an equal amount of times when she cannot sleep at night. Or how Rob rearranges his record collection autobiographically. Or what kinds of songs would make these guys Top 5 lists. It is amazing. The film also hits perfectly on so many little moments throughout. Most of them are a look by an actor or a touch or a feel here or there, but they are massively effective and ultimately heartbreaking at times.

I guess my only qualm with the film is that I wish it were more stylized and put to music even better than it already was. The style was fine, but I found it too be too conventional with a story like this. I wanted something that would catch my eye as well as stimulate my mind. I know that is a small quibble, but I can see this film being even better than it already is. But look. I loved the film. And more, I can see this being something that just increases in sentimentality and nostalgia the more and more I see it. I cannot say at this time that it holds any place in my heart, but I enjoyed a great viewing experience. To commemorate  the film, here is my Top 5 reasons why I liked it:

1. Jack Black: His style is so madly hilarious, I don't care what anyone else says. His spin moves are top notch.
2. Tim Robbins is literally one of my all time heroes.
3. John Cusack plays to the camera so well. 4th wall can be awkward sometimes, but he pulls it off.
4. Joan Cusack is totally great at playing John's sister!
5. Top 5 lists totally rock!

Next Up: Princess Mononoke? Sure, why not.

I'm so incredibly relieved that you liked it! I'm ashamed to admit how often I question whether this is worthy of being my favorite movie of.all.time. It really isn't stylistically unique or pretty to look at. But you hit the nail on the head: the characters are just perfect. It plays with the ideas of obsession and love in such a unique way. I think we like each other's favorite movies just about equally, so I can live with it not making your top 50 or whatever.  :)

"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
I'm ashamed to admit how often I question whether this is worthy of being my favorite movie of.all.time.
Yea, I often fret that I'm crazy for thinking Days of Heaven is my favorite film, but the second I start watching it, I know. Seems like you've got the same thing going with High Fidelity, which I can totally dig.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »
I'm ashamed to admit how often I question whether this is worthy of being my favorite movie of.all.time.
Yea, I often fret that I'm crazy for thinking Days of Heaven is my favorite film, but the second I start watching it, I know. Seems like you've got the same thing going with High Fidelity, which I can totally dig.

I have this many reservations about Forest Gump being my favorite movie?film?cinema? of.all.time: 0!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love