love

Author Topic: Corndog Is Dancing in the Clouds Marathon  (Read 9106 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Corndog Is Dancing in the Clouds Marathon
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
Walter was kind of pushy and leading Hildy into coming back, but let's not forget that she was swept back up into the thrill of being a reporter with the Earl Williams story once it happened. The gun shots, the bells going off in the distance, they called her attention like she was extremely interested to continue reporting. I see what you're saying about the situation, but I don't think it was all Walter's doing; she had an interest in staying and questions about quitting for Bruce. She just needed that push and challenge to persuade her. imo.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2010, 03:49:39 PM »
I enjoyed it. Didn't love it. though was I the only person who was depressed when Russell went back on the newspaper? That's an unhappy ending for me.
Same - enjoyed it, didn't love it. I think you've hit on part of the reason why I didn't love the movie more. I think it bothered me that Russell was essentially bullied into going back to the paper - or rather, she was taken in hand by a man who knew what she wanted better than she did herself. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, 'Noke, but anyway, I think it's the sexual politics of the film that bother me. I try not to be bothered, but I am.

(For me, Bringing up Baby > His Girl Friday. There, the woman knows better than the man about what will make him happy. ;D Though that's not the main reason I love it, of course!)

I don't think we're talking about the same thing but I do agree with everything you said. I enjoy watching Grant work, he's fun, but I was rooting for her and Ralph Bellamy to end up together, so I was quite saddened by the end. But, it is true, Grant's editor is domineering and kinda unlovable.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
I enjoyed it. Didn't love it. though was I the only person who was depressed when Russell went back on the newspaper? That's an unhappy ending for me.
Same - enjoyed it, didn't love it. I think you've hit on part of the reason why I didn't love the movie more. I think it bothered me that Russell was essentially bullied into going back to the paper - or rather, she was taken in hand by a man who knew what she wanted better than she did herself. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, 'Noke, but anyway, I think it's the sexual politics of the film that bother me. I try not to be bothered, but I am.

I think it's society that wants her to marry Bruce and settle down, not her.  Walter knows how she really feels and encourages her to follow her heart, not what a woman is expected to do.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

flieger

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
For me, Bringing up Baby > His Girl Friday

8)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 06:06:51 PM »
No one can resist Cary Grant.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »
Bringing up Baby > His Girl Friday.
And I thought I knew you.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »
The Awful Truth also features Cary Grant stealing a woman away from Ralph Bellamy.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
For me, Bringing up Baby > His Girl Friday

8)
flieger's awesomeness confirmed.

I think it's society that wants her to marry Bruce and settle down, not her.  Walter knows how she really feels and encourages her to follow her heart, not what a woman is expected to do.
I get that she really was a reporter at heart and settling down with Bruce wasn't "her," so to speak. It just bothered me that it took a man (the suave, irresistable Grant) to help her see her mistake and to help her see what she really wanted. I don't feel strongly enough about it to argue about it too much (I do like the film), but anyway, I just felt the film patronized her. Even if what she ended up doing - not settling down - wasn't what a woman was "supposed to do" so that she was bucking the system in the end, it was still a man who was helping her see she should buck society and not settle down, so the man still seems the person in power still, relative to her life. A man is still telling a woman what it is she really wants, either way, even if the man is right. Does that make any sense?

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 03:32:36 AM »
Sure, that makes sense.  I just think the feminist bits outweigh the anti-feminist bits.

The Philadelphia Story, though, much as I love it, I will not defend.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 10:32:51 AM »
Sure, that makes sense.  I just think the feminist bits outweigh the anti-feminist bits.

The Philadelphia Story, though, much as I love it, I will not defend.
Yeah, you're probably right. I should re-watch it.

Funny. I love The Philadelphia Story. Probably has something to do with the fact that it was a film I loved growing up - in the days before I knew what feminism was. :)

love