love

Author Topic: Elmore Leonard & Film  (Read 21376 times)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
Re: Elmore Leonard & Film
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »
So harsh on DeVito, 'noff! Not an It's Always Sunny fan?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
So harsh on DeVito, 'noff! Not an It's Always Sunny fan?
Never seen it.  :-X (I think he just got caught in the crossfire on this one)

@verbALs, I think I could definitely stand to read Glitz after I wrap up LOTR. I'll be looking for something different and that should fit the bill. Also, just to see Leonard's best, which for some of these books hasn't necessarily been the case. I think in the foreword for Touch he actually talks about his intentions with the book and his reasoning for breaking away from his usual stuff. I think he actually says that for him it was one of his favourite things he's written, which surpised me.

Of the books I've now read I'd rank 'em like this:

3:10 to Yuma
The Moonshine War
The Captives (which became The Tall T)
Jackie Brown
Out of Sight

Hombre
Cat Chaser
Valdez is Coming
Last Stand at Saber River

Get Shorty
52 Pick-Up
Stick

The Big Bounce
Touch

I've tended to enjoy his westerns better it seems...

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2011, 01:40:21 AM »
You have one on me there because I have never read any of his westerns (or any western full-stop).

Your orange rankings are the ones I wouldn't agree with. Get Shorty is probably his most effortless book, feels like the book he wanted to write about his adventures in Hollywood, and how funny the whole experience was. He nails the whole scene and it's very satirical for Leonard.  The other two are from that early period of crime writing, a lot leaner and tougher, but if you don't like these then books like City Primeval, Unknown Man No.89(?), Swag and The Hunted probably wouldn't go down so well either.

I think you missed Mr Majestyk when you watched the Bronson classic ( :o). A short book that is one of my favourites, just the quintessential tough guy perfect for Bronson.

It's my enthusiasm that's driving me to push those books I mentioned. I obviously generally love Leonard but Glitz in particular puts his other work in perspective, frames it. There's generally a template to his stories- characters, dialogue, interaction and oh yes a crime story but Glitz does all of these better; better villain, better plot, wonderful supporting characters...I know gush gush.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy