Author Topic: "Seizure the Night" movie marathon  (Read 5914 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: "Seizure the Night" movie marathon
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 08:04:26 AM »
When you can, let us know how things went-- what movies did you watch?  How much did you guys like them?  And will you continue watching movies together-- we gave an awful lot of suggestions...
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »
Thanks for the great suggestions everybody!  We had a great time tracking down titles from your suggestions and then choosing from that list. 

Our available titles were:
A Matter of Life and Death (owned it)
Shop Around the Corner (owned it)
To Kill a Mockingbird (bought it)
Charade (owned it)
What's Up Doc (library)
Say Anything (library)
Summer Wars (bought it)
Howl's Moving Castle (owned it)

Last night we ended up watching

A Matter of Life and Death
Say Anything
Charade
Howl's Moving Castle (started but didn't finish)

We loved each of these movies and look forward to watching what's on the rest of the list shortly.  I'll post reviews in the appropriate thread tomorrow - right now I'm a zombie and am having trouble with nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc.  Charlotte and I will definitely sleep like babies tonight.

Thanks again!
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 06:36:41 AM »
How great!  Glad you guys enjoyed the films.  And I am proud to have contributed to you purchasing one really good film and one really great film.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »
The kids have off on Thursday and Friday, and a request for Summer Wars to be our Wednesday night movie has already been made!   :D

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »
Was away last week so I missed this. My heart stopped when you started with A Matter Of Life And Death. Introducing this to a ten year old is so challenging and fantastic. It's a film we saw a lot in the UK on the BBC as a kid (Black Narcissus was the other one which is slightly more off the wall). Kind of fits next to The Wizard of Oz but the British version of same.

Didn't she find Charade a little gruesome? My problem is it tries to be a light romcom but the nasty deaths ruin the tone (personal opinion). Since my rites of passage with my 15 yr old was Alien I shouldn't talk. ;D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »
Was away last week so I missed this. My heart stopped when you started with A Matter Of Life And Death. Introducing this to a ten year old is so challenging and fantastic. It's a film we saw a lot in the UK on the BBC as a kid (Black Narcissus was the other one which is slightly more off the wall). Kind of fits next to The Wizard of Oz but the British version of same.

Didn't she find Charade a little gruesome? My problem is it tries to be a light romcom but the nasty deaths ruin the tone (personal opinion). Since my rites of passage with my 15 yr old was Alien I shouldn't talk. ;D

I saw A Matter of Life and Death (it was called Stairway to Heaven in the U.S.) on TV when I was just slightly older than Charlotte and was dutifully blown away.  It changed my perceptions about "older" films as dry and uninteresting.  I am happy to report that she had a similar opinion.  And I'm glad you brought up Black Narcissus - it might be a bit intense for her now, but maybe in a year or so. 

Regarding Charade: she actually has seen it before but did not remember it well.  She loves Cary Grant (from North by Northwest and To Catch a Thief) so this was a no-brainer.  She was not put off by the deaths.  I, like you, found them a bit gruesome when I saw this as a child.  But she's seen worse in the video games her brothers play and even in some PG movies that we see.  And besides, she (like me) was so enamored by the chemistry between Grant and Hepburn that everything else was secondary. 

Speaking of Alien, they had a double-feature of Alien/Aliens at a local cinema last Halloween and I took my (then) 13 year old son.  Great minds run in the same slime, as my old art teacher used to say. 

love