love

Author Topic: Bondo's Great Directors  (Read 70451 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Bondo's Great Directors
« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2011, 10:24:58 AM »
Kubrick intentionally went for a no passion approach and I think it works. The film has its flaws, mainly Peter Sellers horrendous performance, but as a study of a passionless obsession I think it's pretty great.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #371 on: September 17, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
Ace In The Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951)

There almost seems to be a Scorsese effect forming with Wilder, where I can basically break him into early era Wilder, with Ace In The Hole marking the end, and a later era starting with Stalag. Like Scorsese, the latter era is far more appealing and consistent to me.

I get what Wilder is doing here as a thematic point. You've got the newspaper man bending those around him to his will in order to promote his own career. It is all the bonds between public officials, private individuals and media that serve their own interests rather than the interests of truth or public interest. But the story is so dull and mundane that it really doesn't do much for me as a cinematic venture.

2/5

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #372 on: September 17, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »
It's like Lassie for people who hate dogs but love Kirk Douglas. *Woof*

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »
I could never imagine using the words "dull and mundane" to describe a story as interesting, nuanced, and vibrant as Ace in the Hole.

love