Author Topic: Bondo's Great Directors  (Read 70524 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Revisiting Great Directors
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »
I have a very different interpretation of the movie than you do, but I'm glad you like it. I've gone on record many times saying it's widely misunderstood. Also, pretty!

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2010, 11:12:07 PM »
You failed to mention the soundtrack, featuring the incomparable Hilary Hahn as the solo violinist.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2010, 11:29:02 PM »
I'd like to hear your take on it Melvil.

You failed to mention the soundtrack, featuring the incomparable Hilary Hahn as the solo violinist.

I almost never notice scores. I'm sure they have an impact still but I just don't consciously feel them. This is why I didn't vote in the Best Score category for BoD (or Filmspots).

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2010, 12:11:29 AM »

Oh yeah, it's great.

I'd like to hear your take on it Melvil.

My reading of the film has more to do with it as a love story. The meaning I take away from the "twist" being that circumstances or context have no effect on love. No matter how our perspective of the setting might change, it makes no difference to the characters themselves, as the life and love they experience is as real as any other.

I suppose our interpretations aren't really mutually exclusive, but that's the part I found to be important.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2010, 02:30:04 AM »

It's not true.  I just thought it was funny.  And applicable.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2010, 04:55:52 AM »
hehehehe

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2010, 07:49:40 AM »
Kiki's Delivery Service (Hayao Miyazaki, 1989)

Watching this I'm beginning to understand Clovis a bit more. I know I'm going to get some hate for this, but I don't like Kiki's Delivery Service. Unlike many of Miyazaki's works (though admittedly I've only loved one of four so far in this marathon), it just seems trivial or insubstantial. I'm sure it can be a charming story for kids but I just don't connect on an emotional level with the struggle. It lacks the sense of awe from the other entries...this is no fantastic world...it is pretty well ordinary.

I'm about at halfway in this marathon and could probably say it is underwhelming. Nausicaa was everything I remembered but both Mononoke and Kiki's dropped a star in my rating from my initial viewing. On the plus side, three of my top four Miyazaki films are left in the final five.

Rating: 2/5

Full disclosure, I have an ex-girlfriend whose nickname was Kiki. I'm sure that biases me against this film or something.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:52:02 AM by Bondo »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »
It would be cool if you love Porco Rosso and Totoro, also Ponyo. And if you watch the English language version of the third, let me know how the kids are in there.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »
It would be cool if you love Porco Rosso and Totoro, also Ponyo. And if you watch the English language version of the third, let me know how the kids are in there.

I saw Ponyo english dub in the theatre...didn't notice anything notably good/bad in the voice acting. We'll see how the revisit treats it, but Ponyo is my least favorite Miyazaki.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »

I saw Ponyo english dub in the theatre...didn't notice anything notably good/bad in the voice acting. We'll see how the revisit treats it, but Ponyo is my least favorite Miyazaki.

It's one of his better films. I need to see the English version to see how the Cyrus/Jonas pairing works.