Author Topic: 'Noke and Ferris do a little 'Zaki (Miyazaki Marathon + 1 Takahata!)  (Read 37699 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: 'Noke and Ferris do a little 'Zaki (Miyazaki Marathon + 1 Takahata!)
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »
I'd consider Totoro great Miyazaki but not genius Miyazaki. I'd save the lesser description for things like Porco Rosso or Kiki's (and I'd save bad Miyazaki for Ponyo). Of course I'm now getting going with my own Miyazaki marathon (revisits all) so I'll get to freshly appraise all of them.

Especially re-examining these two, right ???

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
I enjoyed Totoro a lot more the second time, after I knew what to expect. It's tough when you've seen every other Miyazaki and you get to that 'last one'... you tend to expect a lot. I'm just sayin'.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 12:36:04 PM »
Also, I am not self derivative, ferris! >:(

:D

You are still one of the most awesome creatures I've seen on film - derivative or not :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
First, all this lesser talk about Totoro is hurting me, it switches places with Spirited Away all the time as my #1 Miyazaki. It's a simple film, but that's the beauty of it, in that simplicity there is actually a deep complexity that touches on so many themes of childhood and the joy of life.

Second, great write-ups from both of you, outside of the lesser comments, those are turning me into an angry Bill, and when I'm angry I'm like a giant Totoro, only not cuddly or friendly.  ;)

I'd consider Totoro great Miyazaki but not genius Miyazaki. I'd save the lesser description for things like Porco Rosso or Kiki's (and I'd save bad Miyazaki for Ponyo). Of course I'm now getting going with my own Miyazaki marathon (revisits all) so I'll get to freshly appraise all of them.

There is no such thing as bad Miyazaki, and Ponyo is most definitely not an example of a bad film, let alone bad Miyazaki.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »
Totoro captures and compacts everything that is great about Miyazaki into a bite sized journey of awesome that is not bogged down by meandering story lines or half realized characters.

Nicely said, FLY. I know that y'all aren't slamming on Totoro at all, but it's my favorite Miyazaki for the reason above. Sometimes, for me, Spirited Away is a little overwhelming. There is soooo much there. Which is great. But my little heart likes room to expand into a picture, and Totoro offers the space for that.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »
I know that y'all aren't slamming on Totoro at all, but it's my favorite Miyazaki for the reason above. Sometimes, for me, Spirited Away is a little overwhelming. There is soooo much there. Which is great. But my little heart likes room to expand into a picture, and Totoro offers the space for that.

Yep yep, and I look to both of them for those different experiences. Their awesomeness coexists wonderfully. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2010, 07:30:24 PM »
It's so great that you guys are doing reviews again.  Welcome back to your computer, 'Noke!

I was a little disappointed in your Totoro reviews, but you guys still gave it good marks, so the difference between "great" and "one of the greatest" is pretty minuscule.  There's not as much in Totoro, as, say, Spirited Away, but that's why Miyazaki is great for everyone, because despite the similarities of his films, there are a lot of differences as well.  Each one is to be treasured, and I think that came out in your reviews. 

I agree that "lesser" or, as I call it "second tier" Miyazaki is reserved for Porco Rosso, Castle of Cagliostro, and probably Kiki.  I think the themes in Totoro-- as simple as it is-- is what makes it great.  I won't say more, because I've already explored this in detail in my marathon.

BTW, I love all the Miyazaki marathons!  There is just so much Miyazaki love to bask in here in FS!  :)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2010, 12:03:31 AM »
I totally agree with that last statement Steve.

It's great that you can give a Miyazaki a "B" and people react like you just insulted their mother  :D (not really, JK)  It's what I'm finding makes his movies so great - they become so personal to people.  It truly is a credit to him.  This isn't going to be the last time I find myself upsidedown on a Miyazaki film!  (just warning you!)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »
I totally agree with that last statement Steve.

It's great that you can give a Miyazaki a "B" and people react like you just insulted their mother  :D (not really, JK)  It's what I'm finding makes his movies so great - they become so personal to people.  It truly is a credit to him.  This isn't going to be the last time I find myself upsidedown on a Miyazaki film!  (just warning you!)

And I gave it an A+ and pretty explicitly called it in my review "perfect"!!  :D
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:01 PM »
Just remember, ferris, for your next review... I know where you live  :D
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love