love

Author Topic: Grim Horizons: Post-Apocalyptic Marathon  (Read 13787 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Grim Horizons: Post-Apocalyptic Marathon
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »
Y: The Last Man is great. You're probably just reading it wrong.

You realize saying things like this doesn't make me want to read it or like it any more?
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2010, 11:25:43 AM »
It's also just a joke. You can't read or see or listen to anything wrong. That's why it's funny. Get it?!?!?!?
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
Nope. 

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
It's also just a joke. You can't read or see or listen to anything wrong. That's why it's funny. Get it?!?!?!?
Nope. 

Have you guys ever seen baby otters? Man, are baby otters cute.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2010, 11:33:59 PM »
They are cute unless you watch them wrong.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Zhankfor

• how lynch get pragnent?
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
They're cute unless you feed them after midnight.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »
Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Dir. Ridley Scott
DoP Jordan Cronenweth
Based on the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep ?" by Philip K. Dick

There isn't a lot for me to say about this.  I believe most everyone on the Boards has seen this, probably many times. 

I'd like to talk about this on a bridged basis, crossing over between what I know from the film, many articles and docs on the film and the book itself.  All these things combine to paint a stronger picture for me in my head.

This film is known for its dystopian setting, but based on what I remember from the novel, I think its safe to actually call this a Post-Apocalyptic film.  There is no specific catastrophe referenced in the film, but I feel safe in theorizing that this future was created slowly through human neglect alone.  The earth is black and scorched due to mankind's continued destructive ways, many of the people in this world have abandoned the planet surface for distant colonies among the stars.  So Deckard and the rest of humanity are left in a world that can't be cleaned up and really isn't worth repairing.  All you can do is keep your head down and duck in and out of cover of rain while you exist.  Oh, and eat noodles and stay as drunk as you can while still functioning. 

So, this film isn't a cut and dry Post-Apocalyptic film, but its arguable.

What I payed closest attention to during this viewing was the Production Design.  Its praised often for the incredible sets, Sid Mead's design and the over all execution of Blade Runner's world.  I would go one step further and say that as much as I love the film, the only two things in the film that are fully realized are the photographic look achieved by Master of Light Jordan Cronenweth and the Production Design.  Everything else is really good, but I have some issues with the script and the unfocused final product.  Now, I know there are going to be a number of people that take issue with this, but the proof is in the Blu Ray package.  If this was a fully realized and better executed film, there wouldn't be 5 Cuts of the film.  As it stands, Blade Runner is a bit of a mess, but its one that I adore. 

Sometimes, very rarely a mess is probably better than if this film had been cut and dry, because now, for me, Blade Runner is more than a film.  Its an experience, a philosophy, and something that haunts so many of its viewers and fans that it makes you want to return time and again for more clues, another taste of a world that is so grotesque and wrong that it comes full circle to become beautiful and moving.  The quiet moment's in Deckard's apartment are so powerful to me.  I can't think of any other film that shows me a guy slowly nod off into a drunken sleep at a piano and makes it this poetic.

Ambiguity is something that I've seen all too many film students strive for, and what they end up with is incoherence, often laughable due to unintentional moments created by their incessant need to not answer anything, let alone something.  Thankfully its the ambiguities in Blade Runner that make it so captivating for me.

Oh, and I don't care what Scott says, I don't agree with the Deckard as a Replicant thing.  I ignore it in the Final Cut, to me it undermines the power of the film's finale. 

This and The Road Warrior, while both being completely different tonally, are easily the best films I've watched in this marathon.

Grade A

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, this is an after thought.  I watched my newly purchased Bluray version of Blade Runner and while it is certainly a significant step up compared to my DVDs, I was SEVERELY disappointed in the transfer of the Final Cut.  There was a ton of digital artifacts, clusters of shimmering pixels (no, not grain) mainly in the highlights, and most noticeable on character's faces.  It was very sloppy.

I've read a lot of negative press on the Road Warrior Bluray transfer, but I gotta say, its one of the nicer transfers I've seen.  It, Days of Heaven and Baraka are the best transfers I've seen yet.  This was a major let down to me, considering I think its one of the best photographed movies ever made.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
Never though of Blade Runner as post-apocalyptic but now that you mention it, it seems fairly obvious. And having read the book I know that being on earth was essentially considered being the lowest of the low class because rich people were all going offworld.

And yes, Blade Runner is a mess, a mess I love.

I've read a lot of negative press on the Road Warrior Bluray transfer, but I gotta say, its one of the nicer transfers I've seen.  It, Days of Heaven and Baraka are the best transfers I've seen yet. 
And it taunts me. I can practically taste that Days of Heaven Bluray.
"It's all research." -roujin

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
Ambiguity is something that I've seen all too many film students strive for, and what they end up with is incoherence, often laughable due to unintentional moments created by their incessant need to not answer anything, let alone something.

Astute point.  Do you see this in regular (non-student) films?  Any examples come to mind?  Not to pick on anyone, just to carry the discussion forward a bit.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love