love

Author Topic: Grim Horizons: Post-Apocalyptic Marathon  (Read 19150 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Grim Horizons: Post-Apocalyptic Marathon
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »

Miracle Mile
Dir. Steve De Jarnatt

I had never seen a Steve De Jarnatt film before in my life.  I've now seen 2, this and Cherry 2000!  Thankfully this was A LOT better than Cherry.  But this is yet another example of how the genre of Apocalyptic (Post or otherwise) is paved with great ideas and poor execution.

The premise of Miracle Mile is pretty cool.  A young guy, Anthony Edwards, passing a ringing pay phone answers it (hasn't cinema taught us time and again that doing this can only lead to disaster???).  On the other end of the phone is a frantic caller who claims that in 50 minutes America will be launching a nuclear attack.  He then tells a diner full of late night ghouls and causes mass hysteria when one of the patrons whips out a Zack Morris phone and confirms the crazy rumor.  Over the following hour Edwards rescues his girlfriend (or does he???) while LA turns to mass hysteria as the rumor of nuclear holocaust spreads like an LA wildfire.

I loved the premise, but I found nearly ever decision that ever character makes to be unmotivated and frustrating.  By the time Edward's tells his girlfriend to stay with the helicopter so he can go find a pilot, and she leaves the helicopter to force him to run after her, I was just peeved.  This isn't a terrible film, but it certainly isn't a film I liked too much.

This was a really cool shot:

Oh, I forgot to mention this, I loved the Tangerine Dream score.  I don't think it really works well in the movie, but musically its something I'd love to get and listen to.  Their score for Legend is one of my all-time favorites.

And that's about it.

Grade C

Sorry Zhankfor, wasn't my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:22:59 AM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Zhankfor

• how lynch get pragnent?
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2010, 04:09:46 PM »
Awwwwww well. I think what I really liked about the movie is how it took on what something as insanely traumatic as nuclear war could do to someone otherwise of perfectly sound mind - maybe that's why I wasn't too bothered by the crazy actions the characters take. But now that I read that sentence, it sounds a lot like making  an excuse for the movie.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2010, 06:42:38 PM »
Back in 1990 when I discovered Miracle Mile, I loved it.  Watched it about a dozen times.  I loved the relationship between Edwards and Winningham, and the escalating tension and the thought that it could all be a hoax.  i couldn't wait to show it to my wife.

My how I've grown up.  It was rough to sit through.  She gave up after about 40min and I finished by myself.  Only the nostalgia kept me going.

Zhankfor

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »
My how I've grown up.

Maybe it was just my youthful exuberance ;)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »
Having fun following along so far, even though I haven't had anything interesting to add quite yet!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it.  I had to take a break from it for work.  I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2010, 01:31:29 PM »
I cannot believe you watched DEFCON-4. I was going to write a review on this disaster because I was sure it wasn't going to make your list anyway. How did you even hear about this one?!
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
Don't forget I used to work in a Video Store and a Film Archive.  My sources are deep...

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
This is a cool marathon, even if most of the movies have been duds. I've always been fascinated by the post-apoc premise, but it seemed like it turns out better in video games (Fallout & Stalker). I'll definitely check out Tarkovsky's Stalker.

Zhankfor

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2010, 12:09:34 AM »
A Boy and His Dog
The idea of Topeka is solid, its just handled very, very strangely.  And they spend far too much time there for my liking. 

Just watched this one - I'd call it entertaining but far from a masterpiece. And as is all too common with science fiction movies, they give the interesting parts far from the time they deserve. We could have spent far less time in Topeka, I agree, but we also could've spent twice as long if they'd really wanted to get into it.

love