Author Topic: Grim Horizons: Post-Apocalyptic Marathon  (Read 19157 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Grim Horizons: Post-Apocalyptic Marathon
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2010, 12:28:41 PM »
I just want to say, CS, that your marathon is truly epic and stunning.  You aren't just going for the praised films, but also the bad ones.  Thanks for taking so many for the team.

But mostly, thanks for your reviews.  As always they are insightful and interesting.  And I'm glad you finally got to some good films. 

I have put Stalker on my queue.  I've always been tempted to watch A Boy and His Dog because the story by Harlan Ellison is so good.  But I think this film will just ruin it.  But Things To Come sounds excellent.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »
While I agree wholeheartedly with the defense of T1, and I love the police station scene, I have to say that the funny feeling I got whenever Linda Hamilton one-hand-pumped the shotgun in T2 was one of my major clues that my libido was not tuned only to guys.  So I have to give T2 the edge personally.

Having that mental revelation while on a date with your boyfriend who just returned from Iraq and expects to start planning the wedding soon:  AWKWARD.

I guess it all depends on the ultimate question, which is sexier?

I went with the left one, but only because of the hair.   ;D ;D ;D
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
I just want to say, CS, that your marathon is truly epic and stunning.  You aren't just going for the praised films, but also the bad ones.  Thanks for taking so many for the team.

But mostly, thanks for your reviews.  As always they are insightful and interesting.  And I'm glad you finally got to some good films. 

I have put Stalker on my queue.  I've always been tempted to watch A Boy and His Dog because the story by Harlan Ellison is so good.  But I think this film will just ruin it.  But Things To Come sounds excellent.

Thanks STEVE!!!  Means a lot to me!

Sorry I haven't posted in this in a while.  I've been working and I've taken a break from the film portion of this marthon.  I'm currently reading Y: The Last Man to keep the Post-Apocalyptic Theme moving along.  Its all research.  If you have any Apocalyptic fiction/science fiction you want me to read, recommend it!
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »

Thanks STEVE!!!  Means a lot to me!

Sorry I haven't posted in this in a while.  I've been working and I've taken a break from the film portion of this marthon.  I'm currently reading Y: The Last Man to keep the Post-Apocalyptic Theme moving along.  Its all research.  If you have any Apocalyptic fiction/science fiction you want me to read, recommend it!

Y: The Last Man is excellent.  I loved the first 3 or 4 books of the series, and then it seemed to slow down.  I'll get back to it later.

As far as other book picks... The Postman by David Brin is much better than the film.  The Stand by Stephen King is still a favorite.  And a Canticle for Lebowitz is classic.  Also Octavia Butler's books The Parable of the Sower and The Parable of the Talents are fantastic, offering one of the most memorable messianic figures ever.  And one more The Wild Shore by Kim Stanley Robinson is fantastic.  That's more than enough, I think.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
Margaret Atwood has 2/3rds of her post apocalyptic trilogy out so far, Oryx and Crake and After The Flood. One man left on earth and all that jazz.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2010, 06:30:01 AM »
Don't forget Swan Song by Robert McCammon--might have lost some immediacy now that a global nuclear war scenario is not as resonant but still good stuff, and talk about a messianic figure!  Structure is similar to The Stand--meet a bunch of different folks, end of the world, survivors start to rebuild, giant clash between "good" and "evil" visions for going forward.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2010, 08:33:49 AM »
Steve,

So far Y: The Last Man isn't doing it for me.  For something that is praised for its writing, the dialog is pretty awful.

Also, I'm probably the only person in the world who feels this way, but I liked the movie of the Postman better than the Book.  I know, I'm weird.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
Y: The Last Man is great. You're probably just reading it wrong.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2010, 10:34:40 AM »
Margaret Atwood has 2/3rds of her post apocalyptic trilogy out so far, Oryx and Crake and After The Flood. One man left on earth and all that jazz.

This. And it's Atwood. I want to eat her brain to consume its power.