Author Topic: The Theater Experience  (Read 3124 times)

wnducms

• Dreamingtree Productions
The Theater Experience
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:07 PM »
The other day I was discussing with a co-worker about how I usually go to Matinee of a film in the theater since I work evenings. I find that I am able to enjoy going to a movie with an almost empty theater and being by myself (not with friends or family) better then a packed house on say a Friday or Saturday night. I just feel like there is nothing there to distract me from enjoying the film. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy a packed theater every one in a while. Especially for some of those big summer blockbusters. What is everyone’s preference here?
"Fate can sometimes be a tease, but the story never stops. There's always a chance for a Hollywood ending."
http://twitter.com/chrismskibbe

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The Theater Experience
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
There are some experiences for me (Children of Men) where the fact that the rest of the audience was so into it along with me added beyond if I was mostly alone. I also think comedies can be better with a bunch of people laughing with you. That said, I don't feel a packed house usually does much except raise the potential for distraction.

One fun thing...I saw Get Smart in the theatre and when they make the joke about existentialism (Smart left the question blank and it was treated as an intentional answer) I was the only one in the theatre who laughed out loud. I felt very superior  ;D

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »
Yeah, I guess it depends on the film. If it's a quieter drama, I prefer an empty cinema, but blockbusters and most comedies are fun with the crowd. I had the best experience ever in a cinema with King of Kong, which played in a small indie cinema, but the showing was packed, and everyone was totally into it - booing Billy Mitchell and cheering at the right moments - so much fun.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »
I like it both ways. Saw S,NY alone in a matinee arthouse theater and that was awesome. And the truck flipping in The Dark Knight was awesome in a crowded theater (twice in one day!).
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
I very much prefer matinees, but a packed theater can be fun.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 12:11:56 AM »
If I go, it will usually be on a weekend afternoon but chances are that the theater will still be packed for any mainstream movie.  But the best thing here about the theaters are that they are all assigned seating.  I can pick and choose my seats 3 days in advance online for any theater so I always make sure I have good seats.  If I can not get them, I will look for a different theater or time or I will just wait another week. But I never have to worry about waiting in queue and scrambling to find decent seats.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 01:43:05 AM »
A good crowd always adds to the movie theatre experience.  A bad crowd always hurts it.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 08:04:30 AM »
I generally go by myself to the AMC theatre on the weekends in the AM because the price is only $5 and there aren't too many people generally. I have had a few instances where there were a few other groups of people in the theatre and that is fine. Anything that my friends want to see (blockbusters/comedies) we generally all go on a Friday or Saturday night when there is a big crowd.

Free screenings are a crapshoot sometimes. You always have a packed house, but how many of them are just there to see a free movie and care anything about what they are watching?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 08:40:47 AM »
Early mornings or late nights.  Early for the obvious benefits of it being quiet, and easy to concentrate solely on the movie; late night for atmosphere.  The cinema I use tends to be spectacularly annoying being 4pm and 8pm, I generally avoid going at those times as it's always full of annoying school kids who won't stop playing with their phone or stop talking about the most inane things ("oh my god, that's guy lush!").

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
I try to go early to mid afternoons on Friday before all the lame high-school kids show up to text and snog for two hours in the dark.

It's funny, because I'm usually surrounded by senior citizens. Don't have to worry about texting with that bunch.