love

Author Topic: The Runaways  (Read 1038 times)

Eileen

The Runaways
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:22:46 AM »
There was so much about this movie that I loved, that I'm giving it a pass for going off the rails a bit in the last act.  Michael Shannon was amazing as Kim Fowley.  The most remarkable thing about Fowley is that while Shannon seemed pretty extreme, the real guy is about ten times worse/better.  Still, I don't know how anyone could have done more to catch Fowley's psychotic genius and abuse.  The main actors were all strong, and many of the sequences have a real visceral impact.

Maybe I regret that some of the other characters were underused.  Lita Ford is pretty much an extra, and who exactly is Alia Shawcat supposed to be?  And the end goes on and on.  I was itching to jump on screen and tell Kristen Stewart's Jett that she should stop being so self-conscious and do the singing herself, because it takes a really long time for her to figure that out.  Those last ten minutes are a little like being the only sober person at a stoner party.  The stoners still think they're interesting, but they stopped being interesting a while back.

I'm not going to quibble though.  I had capital F fun for about three quarters of the picture, and sometimes that's all it takes.

Brian Z

Re: The Runaways
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
I liked it less than you, but certainly had many of the same feelings. Michael Shannon is amazing in this.

Bondurant

Re: The Runaways
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »
I really enjoyed The Runaways.  Dakota Fanning did a good job as Cherie, better than I imagined she could, Stewart was spot on as Joan Jett.  The scenes of her lurking in the hipster secondhand shop and at the club are spoton based upon descritptions on Joan in those days.  Shannon was a riot as Fowley.

After seeing the movie yesterday I went out and bought the soundtrack as it's the only way I know of to find Suzi Quatro and Runaways tunes without buying expensive imports.  I was really hoping the film would lead to Runaways music being re-released.  But I can settle for the soundtrack.  The tracks of Fanning and Stewart singing Runaways tunes is pretty damn good.

My biggest gripe about the film is at the end where the viewer gets the "Where are They Now" bit and it fails to mention Lita Ford or Sandy West.

@Eileen

Alia Shawcat plays a fictional standin for bassis Jackie Fox who refused to sell her writes for the film.  Rumors say Lita Ford was given $1000 for hers so I'm guessting Jackie was offered the same or less and balked.  Or perhaps she knew a Jett influenced film would really only be about Joan and Cherie.