Author Topic: About Inglourious Basterds  (Read 1648 times)

holytiger

About Inglourious Basterds
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »
Hi guys, I just watched Inglourious Basterds and I really enjoyed it.

The dialogues and some of the scenes were just perfect, BUT!!! I think there are some faults in the plot.

Why did Hanse Landa (Cristopher Waltz) Killed Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kuger) if he was going to surrender?

Ok, you can argue that he changed his mind later he captured Brad Pitt but the film never had the nuance of that(Also when he killed her, he genuinely looked like he felt betrayed and wanted to kill the traiter for his country) and it all suddenly seemed very rushed to get the what Tirantino at the time thought a neat conclusion of the film but it didn't.

It just looked like he didn't want to give a straight ending to the film and give a twist at the end which didn't really worked for me(Because I think this movie was really different from what Tirantino did in the past so I expected something more but kind of dissapointed that it was one of those cliche Tiratino ending) and I think that's why the academy denied him this time as well...

I think the film started so masterfully and lives the height of quality he created until this part that even though it was an OK ending, it seemed quite a let down for me compare to what he brought up till the last part of the film.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:27:29 PM by holytiger »

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
Re: About Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »
you can take your misguided ways into the movie spoiler forum and discuss this turd of a movie...

I think there is over 20 pages of pure pretencious posts over there ;D
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »
you can take your misguided ways into the movie spoiler forum and discuss this turd of a movie...

Jokernick - Filmspotting's official greeter.   ;D ;D ;D
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »

Jokernick - Filmspotting's official greeter.   ;D ;D ;D

I take it you didn't know I operated the welcome wagon here?  Along with my insults, I bring a gift basket of local sausage and cheeses
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:46:09 PM »
Hi guys, I just watched Inglourious Basterds and I really enjoyed it.

The dialogues and some of the scenes were just perfect, BUT!!! I think there are some faults in the plot.

Why did Hanse Landa (Cristopher Waltz) Killed Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kuger) if he was going to surrender?

Ok, you can argue that he changed his mind later he captured Brad Pitt but the film never had the nuance of that(Also when he killed her, he genuinely looked like he felt betrayed and wanted to kill the traiter for his country) and it all suddenly seemed very rushed to get the what Tirantino at the time thought a neat conclusion of the film but it didn't.

It just looked like he didn't want to give a straight ending to the film and give a twist at the end which didn't really worked for me(Because I think this movie was really different from what Tirantino did in the past so I expected something more but kind of dissapointed that it was one of those cliche Tiratino ending) and I think that's why the academy denied him this time as well...

I think the film started so masterfully and lives the height of quality he created until this part that even though it was an OK ending, it seemed quite a let down for me compare to what he brought up till the last part of the film.
Hi, holytiger! I had the same question you did, and I asked it over here in the Inglorious Basterds thread (about halfway down my post) - you can see what you think of the various answers. :) There were some pretty good ones.

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »
talking about Inglourious Basterds is like getting Herpes.... once it's started, it will never go away
-Gene Siskel

holytiger

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
Hi, holytiger! I had the same question you did, and I asked it over here in the Inglorious Basterds thread (about halfway down my post) - you can see what you think of the various answers. :) There were some pretty good ones.
Thanks, but still it's just looked like Tirantino wanted to draw a quick conclusion as the plot was expanding too much(As he mentioned in many interviews that he had to take a long time to finished the script as he couldn't find the right ending) and also I thought the ending was sort of Tirantino's cliche moments...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:00:17 PM by holytiger »

holytiger

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:58:24 PM »

sorry about that. First time here...

I just pressed delete for this post but it's not working... I don't know why

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
Welcome, holytiger.

What do you want to delete...the thread you started or one post in the thread?  I'll help you out once I know what you want to do.  It would probably be best to discuss IB in the thread others are pointing you to.  It's a long thread and much has been discussed there already.

~saltine
Admin
Texan Down Under

love