Author Topic: Best of the Decade: General Discussion  (Read 22574 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Best of the Decade: General Discussion
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »
Hmm that's a tricky one. Looking at the Awards section on imdb, more of the nominations were given in 2001 than 2000 by a count of 6 to 3.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »
is there any reason not to do an actor/actress "body of work" award as well?

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
Che. one movie or two?

I feel like it should count as one, but I really only would consider voting for the first part.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:29 PM »
is there any reason not to do an actor/actress "body of work" award as well?

Two things...that would mean more awards and thus more work. Secondly, we kind of felt an individual film based Best Director would probably mirror Best Film too much so switching to body of work made it more interesting. I don't think performances suffers as much from that.

Che. one movie or two?

I feel like it should count as one, but I really only would consider voting for the first part.

Since I'm lobbying to count Red Riding Trilogy as a single movie for Filmspots this year, I'd be happy to take all these multi-parters into one; especially if it only means wasting one spot on LOTR. I think the key to counting it as a single work is if it was released at one time. I think that is true of Che, not true of LOTR or Kill Bill (though the latter was certainly intended as such originally).

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
I tend to think in each case we err on the side of individualizing the films. 

If fans of a certain series want to lobby others to funnel all the votes into one film from the series - making it the "representative" - I think that's perfectly fair.  I think that will probably happen for Che and for LOTR.  For Kill Bill I think people would rather differentiate the best they can.  I'm not voting one vote for any of these so I don't exactly have a dog in the fight.

After a bit more debate the mods will meet and conclude definitively one way or the other and share that with the group. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »
Maybe there can be a thread where people posts their lists for best film or whatnot, so everyone just isn't posting in the FYC film thread with a lot of repetitive nominations.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »
Maybe there can be a thread where people posts their lists for best film or whatnot, so everyone just isn't posting in the FYC film thread with a lot of repetitive nominations.

there does need to be.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »
Ok folks here's the results of the last powwow:

-Foreign films will be defined as Foreign language films. For example Once will not be eligible, but Passion of the Christ would be. Exception type films: Inglorious Bastard is not eligible, The Band's Visit is. Generally speaking just try to stick to the "standard approach". The function of this event is not to redefine what's normal.

-What's animated and what's not: Waking Life, Wallace and Gromit, Team America, Waltz With Bashir, Scanner Darkly are all animated. I'm not going to try to define what animation is, but if you need a guide then look at the above examples and use your best judgement.

-My Winnipeg. It is not a documentary. The performances are eligible in the relevant performance categories.

-The decade cutoff. We will use the IMDB standard. Whatever date appears next to the film title is what date we will use.

-What's supporting and what's lead. Basically what we're gunna do is this, if you feel a performance is lead than put it as a lead in your ballot. If someone else feels it's a supporting part, they can vote supporting. When the ballots are tallied the results will be combined. Whichever side has more votes will be how the role is defined.

example. if 5 people vote for Tommy Lee Jones as lead in No Country, and 10 people vote for him as supporting, then he will earn 15 votes and the role will be defined as supporting.

The effect of this will be that some people will have selected 19 people for lead and 21 for supporting without meaning to. That's just the way it goes. But please don't try to get an extra vote for, say, Christian Bale in Dark Knight by voting for him as a supporting character when he is clearly a lead. We'll be watching for obvious abuse...

Also, do not try to vote for Tommy Lee Jones as both a supporting performance AND lead performance in the same role on your ballot. If you do he will come to your house and bite off your nose.

-Are animated films eligible for best cinematography? No. There may be a good argument for it, but it's not it's not a widely accepted position yet, so we're going to stick with the standard. And again, the function of this event is not to redefine what's normal.

If decide to include an animated film on your cinematography ballot anyways, because your awesome like that, that's fine. It just won't count for anything.

-Split 'em up or keep 'em together? LOTR is 3 separate films. Kill Bill is 2 separate films. Che is 1 film that sucks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:45:08 PM by smirnoff »

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 10:38:47 PM »
-My Winnipeg. It is not a documentary.

Lame.

It's a non-fiction film with fantasy sequences.  Just like Bowling for Columbine.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"