Author Topic: Best of the Decade: General Discussion  (Read 51989 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Best of the Decade: General Discussion
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 05:59:52 AM »
you may only vote once for any film/performance/person in a given category.

So, say, I have two supporting performances by one actor in two unrelated films.  In that case, I can vote for him twice in the supporting actor category, right?

Absolutely.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
Ok.  For you Lord of the Rings fans.  How do you want to work things?

Do you fans just want to all quietly and informally agree to pick one of the three films to "accept on behalf" of the series to avoid splitting votes for things, do you want to consider all three films one big epic, or should be just consider each on its own merit like we would a Harry Potter film.

I'll accept that LOTR is a different animal than really anything else released this decade.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 09:48:10 AM »
Of course you could always consider ignoring LotR completely.  ;D

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »
There's no gap in the time line from where one film stops and the next film starts. Er, there is but it's no greater than when it cuts from one scene to the next. In my mind I consider it one work. In reality it exists as three separate films.

It depends what people want to see. Either we call LOTR one film and pretty much guarentee it a spot on "the best" list, or we break it up and potentially have all three films make it into the winners circle.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: FYC: Best Supporting Performance - Female
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »
Ann Savage - My Winnipeg
Can you have a "best performance" for a documentary? If that's the case I'm heading to Lead Actor and nominating Timothy Treadwell ;)  (kidding....well....kinda)
Well, I'm one of the few around here who doesn't consider My Winnipeg a documentary. But broadly speaking, you're right that documentary subjects are to one degree or another performing. With that said, I don't think he belongs here, but if other Filmspotters do want documentary performances included we should probably discuss that.

But Ann Savage IS playing a role. She is doing a performance. Treadwell is just kinda being himself.
Yeah, Savage is an actress hired to play a role.

The more I think about it the more I am actually leaning Matt's way. I have probably seen My Winnipeg more than anyone on these boards, and also probably rank it highest. It's on my top 100. It's pretty clear that more of the film is fiction than non-fiction and it is a documentary in style only. It's as much a documentary as Best In Show. I would be fine with it being disqualified from the documentary category.

mode edit (clovis): I moved this post here as I figured it should be more a general discussion.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:53:19 AM by Clovis8 »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
Ehh, I dunno. It came out in three distinctly separate parts and each person seems to have their favorite.

But I can go either way on this thing.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
lotr should be counted as three movies.

id also perfer counting Kill Bill as 2 movies if anyone cares

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
lotr should be counted as three movies.

id also perfer counting Kill Bill as 2 movies if anyone cares

I forgot about Kill Bill.  Good point.

Keeping them three (or in the case of KB - two) movies eliminates complaints of an uneven playing field. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
Beau Travail didn't have an American release until 2000. Is it a 1999 or 2000 film? Metacritic has it as 2000, but IMDB has it as 1999.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »
Beau Travail didn't have an American release until 2000. Is it a 1999 or 2000 film? Metacritic has it as 2000, but IMDB has it as 1999.

My rule of thumb has always been the first non-festival US release as listed on IMDB.  In this case it would be March 2000 in New York.  (Of course, if a film never gets past the festival circuit that my rule of thumb is screwed.)

This is not a "ruling", just the start of discussions...

(switchboard)

love