Author Topic: Best of the Decade: General Discussion  (Read 51933 times)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
Re: Best of the Decade: General Discussion
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »
I understand what is trying to be achieved, but I think the counter-voting is a really messy and inaccurate way of achieving it. In order to accurately and fairly account for what people really think, I suggest this: after accepting initial ballots every film that receives x amount of votes (to be determined based on level of participation and how those nominations are spread) gets turned into a final ballot where each person scores every movie. That way everyone's opinion of every movie gets represented. Movies that are loved by some and liked by others will naturally rise higher than those that are more divisive.

I think your proposal is about equal with the current counter-vote system because I think the temptation to play politics after actually seeing the pool of films to score maybe more alluring in that case (i.e., proposal).  However, that is calling into question motive, admittedly.  The current counter-vote system and what you propose are, in my mind, both more critical ways of looking at the decade which is something I probably prefer.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »
There are two kinds of lists: Personal lists and Group Lists. Filmspotting's Best Films of the Decade is a group list. It will define us, not as individuals, but as a community.

When people look at the list they will not see your ballots. They will not see those films which never stood a chance but you included anyway. So then,  would it not be to the betterment of the group list (i.e. make it more accurate) for you to weigh in on a film that was actually in contention? We are not making personal top 50's here remember. Why not keep the unlikely candidates for another time... like an official, personal top 50 list thread? A place where things can be properly indexed and referenced, instead of being lost amid the shuffle of this project... on a ballot nobody will remember. There will be better opportunities to honour obscure films.

I'm not saying that you should entirely forget about making a ballot with any integrity. I'm saying this is a good time to compromise a little, for the greater good. Of course, we'll all have a few films which we love too much to drop (myself included, Rambo), but surely there's at least a couple that you are willing to budge on? Don't think of it as dropping a good film, think of it as weighing in on a bad one. A negative opinion is no less worthy than a positive one.

I like to imagine a new member coming to the boards... The Best Films of the Decade list will certainly be one of the first things he checks out. He will gage our community by looking at it. Was it compiled by weighing the pros and cons, or just the pros?

That's my 2 cents on it.

I just want to add, that's merely my justification for negative votes. I'm not arguing against making a personal ballot in general. Mine will be very personal.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
I just want to add, that's merely my justification for negative votes. I'm not arguing against making a personal ballot in general. Mine will be very personal.

Same, I found very little space pressure. I don't want more negative votes than I have and the list of in contention films I love did not fill up the rest so that gave me plenty of opportunity to pick non-contention films I love (so that basically I had my top 40 plus a couple that jumped the queue). I'd rather pick a personal love than a in contention like because I might boost that in-contention like over an in-contention love.

On all the other categories (except Director where I have ten solid loves most of which I'd say are in contention) I can't even begin to fill the ballot with things I feel strongly about that are in-contention so I can make those lists very personal. I also probably won't use all my votes in those categories (again, don't want to push something I'm meh about over something I actually care about).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
Sounds like we're in the same boat :)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »
I think your proposal is about equal with the current counter-vote system because I think the temptation to play politics after actually seeing the pool of films to score maybe more alluring in that case (i.e., proposal).  However, that is calling into question motive, admittedly.  The current counter-vote system and what you propose are, in my mind, both more critical ways of looking at the decade which is something I probably prefer.

Right, it could still be easily gamed (asshats and all), but I like to think most of our members are above that. Where I think it's a superior alternative is in giving everyone an equal chance to weigh in, and avoiding all the variables that I see making the counter-vote system such a crapshoot.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2010, 06:32:28 PM »
This discussion really has me wondering where the film/vote curve is going to start to level out

For instance, here's a sample trajectory.  The films listed by rank (keeping in mind, we're not anouncing winners by rank) and the number of votes each:

In this example we have like three basic tiers, 1-10, 11-31 and 31-50.  It's right about at film 38 where the vote levels out where we're getting only around 4-5 votes per film.

Now this is just an example. I have no idea what this curve is actually going to look like.  But in this example its films #38 through probably around #62 that stand to get impacted the most, either positively or negatively, by our use of negative votes. 

So really the question people should be asking themselves is - who's in that window? 

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
nerd ITT :D

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
So really the question people should be asking themselves is - who's in that window? 

I was asking do I feel lucky.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
This thread really needed more charts. You the man, ferris. ;D

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:54 AM »
LOL - ok ok.  Well just for that I'm inflicting you with one more:

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)