Author Topic: Best of the Decade: General Discussion  (Read 26372 times)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Best of the Decade: General Discussion
« Reply #280 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
I thought you liked Inglourious Basterds.

I do, but it's nowhere near a top 50 of the decade for me. Kill Bill: Volume 1 is the Tarantino choice for this decade. Sari about Jesse James, I should really rewatch it.

thought you were just channeling Cher...

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #281 on: May 10, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
Only if Natalie Portman is in it.

Alas, she is not present. Colin Farrell, Blendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes are though. The film in question, the best of 2008, is In Bruges!

God, of course! I JUST watched that last month.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #282 on: May 10, 2010, 12:27:54 PM »
I'm kind of crushed to see the films (in red) listed by you guys.  I'm ambivalent towards the other films being listed.
Had I done negative votes Before Sunset, Juno, and (500) Days of Summer would have been the top contenders. I might have also considered The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Queen, or Pan's Labyrinth.

Yeah, I'm not a fan. I think it succeeds in moments because of Steve Carell's personal charm, but by the time that chick is splashing around in the tub, I kinda hated it. I didn't much like the supporting cast at the electronics store either. I never got the critical acclaim. Although I didn't love it, I think Knocked Up is much better.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:29:36 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #283 on: May 10, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
I'm kind of crushed to see the films (in red) listed by you guys.  I'm ambivalent towards the other films being listed.
Had I done negative votes Before Sunset, Juno, and (500) Days of Summer would have been the top contenders. I might have also considered The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Queen, or Pan's Labyrinth.

Yeah, I'm not a fan. I think it succeeds in moments because of Steve Carell's personal charm, but by the time that chick is splashing around in the tub, I kinda hated it. I didn't much like the supporting cast at the electronics store either. I never got the critical acclaim. Although I didn't love it, I think Knocked Up is much better.

Agreed ... though I hated it by the time of the drunk driving scene.  Whether or not that was before or after the tub scene, I don't remember.

It made my list.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #284 on: May 10, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
I'm kind of crushed to see the films (in red) listed by you guys.  I'm ambivalent towards the other films being listed.

Agreed ... though I hated it by the time of the drunk driving scene.  Whether or not that was before or after the tub scene, I don't remember.

It made my list.

I think the jokes/gags that miss the my mark badly are more abundant in 40YOV, but, for me, the ones that work the most are also in 40YOV.  (However, I do think there are more jokes that miss in KU).  With KU, I feel that Apatow was trying too hard to shoehorn laughs.  As a result, the editing is weaker in that film.  For example, the labor/delivery scene intercut with Ben's friends fooling around and that game the the guys were playing with Martin.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #285 on: May 10, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »
toro913, flieger, and worm@work's lists are the ones that have the most votes that only each of them and I have in common.  With a few votes that the three of us have in common.  I don't think there are any votes that appear on all four ballots.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #286 on: May 11, 2010, 05:54:09 PM »
I appreciate the Best of the Decade mods/organizers' efforts and dedication, but I think the revealing stage is too slow.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #287 on: May 11, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »
I would agree, even if only because I want to know the complete list before I leave the country this weekend.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #288 on: May 12, 2010, 10:07:03 AM »
I appreciate the Best of the Decade mods/organizers' efforts and dedication, but I think the revealing stage is too slow.

Smirnoff is punishing all of us this morning for your discontent yesterday...
;)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #289 on: May 12, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
Whoops! Nope, just asleep at the wheel :) Sorry folks.