Author Topic: Best of the Decade: General Discussion  (Read 27070 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Best of the Decade: General Discussion
« Reply #310 on: May 18, 2010, 07:51:14 AM »
At this point the amount of love this board shows for QT and Nolan sickens me, at least I can justify all the Wes Anderson love in my head because I like Anderson, but those two, ugh.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #311 on: May 18, 2010, 07:59:24 AM »
I've been impressed with Nolan. I feel like he just gets it.

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #312 on: May 18, 2010, 08:10:36 AM »
At this point the amount of love this board shows for QT and Nolan sickens me, at least I can justify all the Wes Anderson love in my head because I like Anderson, but those two, ugh.

I have never really liked QT and realize I will never "get" Pulp Fiction, and I like Nolan's films, though he seems to be a little hot or miss for me, but it is what it is, I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch over it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #313 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »

I have never really liked QT and realize I will never "get" Pulp Fiction, and I like Nolan's films, though he seems to be a little hot or miss for me, but it is what it is, I'm not gonna get my panties in a bunch over it.

I'm not either, but I felt the need to get that out there right quick.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »

Now you understand how I feel about both Andersons.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »

Now you understand how I feel about both Andersons.

Yeah, but you hate everything in film.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »
Interesting lists. I didn't think there were too many surprises. The most for me were probably in the supporting categories where I was pleased to see Franco listed twice.

Not sure how you guys were tabulating, but I know people are always interested in some kind of Excel sheet to get an idea of who just missed the cut.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #317 on: May 18, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »

Surprises:
Unfortunately, a vote for the Coen Brothers is a vote for Intolerable Cruelty, Burn After Reading and The Ladykillers.
Hence why I didn't vote for him.

That shot used for 'Marisa Tomei - In the Bedroom' should be an animated .gif so we can watch what happens next.
I like the way you think.  ;D

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #318 on: May 18, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »

Surprises:
Unfortunately, a vote for the Coen Brothers is a vote for Intolerable Cruelty, Burn After Reading and The Ladykillers.
Hence why I didn't vote for him.

I voted for them, but of those 3 I've only seen Intolerable Cruelty. The hardest name to not include on my director's list was Herzog because he's an all-time favorite but Grizzly Man was the only of his films this decade that I totally loved.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #319 on: May 18, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »
I'm not sure how much bad films from directors weighed in to my calculation compared to quantity of good films. Sure, if two different directors had two great films (M. Night and John Cameron Mitchell for example) but one had a number of bad films while the other had none (well, no other films period), the latter will get the vote. But if it is someone like Sodeberg who had say five films that I liked, even with five I didn't like, he'll get favored over the one with the better "net".