Author Topic: FYC: Best Lead Performance - Male  (Read 30533 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: FYC: Best Lead Performance - Male
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 04:28:40 PM »
Mathieu Amalric - Kings and Queen

I just noticed that Still Schmer already mentioned this performance in the Supporting Actor Category. I thought of it as a lead performance but it's an ensemble film and Supporting makes sense too.

You've seen it more recently than me and my memory of the film is hazy.  Wherever you think Amalric should go, I'll put my support behind it as I wasn't confident in putting him in supporting.  I have no idea if Devos was the lead in the Kings and Queen.  Where would you put her?

I think I'd put both Amalric and Devos as lead performances. However, I hope the others who've watched the movie will chime in as well. I know jbizz watched it pretty recently.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »

I just noticed that Still Schmer already mentioned this performance in the Supporting Actor Category. I thought of it as a lead performance but it's an ensemble film and Supporting makes sense too.

You've seen it more recently than me and my memory of the film is hazy.  Wherever you think Amalric should go, I'll put my support behind it as I wasn't confident in putting him in supporting.  I have no idea if Devos was the lead in the Kings and Queen.  Where would you put her?

I think I'd put both Amalric and Devos as lead performances. However, I hope the others who've watched the movie will chime in as well. I know jbizz watched it pretty recently.

Cool, thanks.  I think roujin and Holly Harry have seen it, too.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
Sam Rockwell - Moon

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
Johnny Depp - Public Enemies
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »

Cool, thanks.  I think roujin and Holly Harry have seen it, too.

Yeah, I think I'd consider both of them as leads.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »
Don't sweat the supporting/lead issue too much folks. You can rest assured your vote will be counted either way.

-What's supporting and what's lead. Basically what we're gunna do is this, if you feel a performance is lead than put it as a lead in your ballot. If someone else feels it's a supporting part, they can vote supporting. When the ballots are tallied the results will be combined. Whichever side has more votes will be how the role is defined.

example. if 5 people vote for Tommy Lee Jones as lead in No Country, and 10 people vote for him as supporting, then he will earn 15 votes and the role will be defined as supporting.

Note: Do not try to vote for Tommy Lee Jones as both a supporting performance AND lead performance in the same role on your single ballot. If you do he will come to your house and bite off your nose.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »
So, out of curiosity, does that mean that an individual's final supporting vote will get bumped off, or they just get an extra vote so it still counts?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 04:35:50 PM »
So, out of curiosity, does that mean that an individual's final supporting vote will get bumped off, or they just get an extra vote so it still counts?

Extra vote because they are in essence losing a vote in the other category. If people start trying to get extra votes in one or the other by listing obvious leading roles in supporting or vice versa we may disqualify the vote but generally I'd like to think there isn't too much incentive to abuse this.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »
Nathan Fillion- Serenity
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »
Colin Firth - A Single Man
Michael Stuhlbarg - A Serious Man
Ulrich Mühe - Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others)

And I would really like to nominate Javier Bardem for either Mar Adentro or Before Night Falls. However, somebody has proposed No Country for Old Men as a Lead Performance for him, and since that is the role which most people have seen him in, I'm guessing it is the most likely to get support. So should I even bother to nominate him for these other roles, both of which I would probably prefer to No Country (which I'd personally put into the Supporting category anyway)?

love