love

Author Topic: FYC: Best Cinematography  (Read 27923 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: FYC: Best Cinematography
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 07:24:23 AM »
Woo! Very nicely done, Schmer. I still need to watch this.

It's time for me to go semi-all-out, w@w.  My plain lists are going out the window...in some cases.  Hopefully you'll have time to catch up with the film before the deadline.

And you've totally motivated me to do the same :). Am planning to shamelessly copy your format for the cinematography picks that I really want to push. Seeing people's individual lists is such a fun part of the process for me.

As for the film, it's been on my to-watch list for a long time. I think I need to make a list of films I want to catch up with before submitting my decade list. So please feel free to recommend some more. I already bumped up The Piano Teacher based on your (and Emiliana's) endorsement of Huppert's performance.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 07:54:47 AM »
Nice Schmer. I remember seeing a clip of this and then I couldn't find it and I wanted to know what its name was. Now I know. I'll be checking this one out for sure.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 09:36:39 AM »
Nice Schmer. I remember seeing a clip of this and then I couldn't find it and I wanted to know what its name was. Now I know. I'll be checking this one out for sure.

Ok- I'll bite - how do you now know!?  I'm missing something!  What's film is this?
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »

Ok- I'll bite - how do you now know!?  I'm missing something!  What's film is this?

I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »

oh!  thought that was a subtitle!  :P
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »

The screen of beads that they are dancing behind. I remember watching that scene on youtube randomly.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
Am planning to shamelessly copy your format for the cinematography picks that I really want to push.

Sounds good!

I think I need to make a list of films I want to catch up with before submitting my decade list. So please feel free to recommend some more. I already bumped up The Piano Teacher based on your (and Emiliana's) endorsement of Huppert's performance.

Have you seen The Death of Mr. Lazarescu yet?  It will get three votes from me: film, foreign film, and actor.  I love The Secret of the Grain and really like Games of Love and Chance (aka L'esquive).  The former is on Region 1 DVD but only at Blockbuster; it's also on R2 and 4 so there should be torrents of it.  Another one is August Evening which has a mixture of story elements of Late Spring (and kind of 35 Shots of Rum) and Tokyo Story.  A film that I'm not in love with but I totally can see a couple of Filmspotters loving is Tony Takitani which stars Issei Ogata who gave another exceptional performance.  Late Marriage is a standout that will be getting a vote for actor and possibly for the film, foreign film, and supporting actress categories as well.  And I've always loved sequence of Linda, Linda, Linda, but I am now behind the film wholesale.  It's a slight film which I don't mean pejoratively.  It's a mood booster.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »

35 Shots of Rum
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:16:07 PM by Still Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 09:17:59 PM »
You really know how to sell it Schmer. I haven't even seen the film and I'm thinking about voting for it ;)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
Guess I should watch that one. Does it have a tentative DVD release date yet?

love