Author Topic: FYC: Best Director (based on body of work)  (Read 16204 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: FYC: Best Director (based on body of work)
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
I love Phantoms of Nabua but don't know what else he's done. What would you recommend?

You didn't ask me but I say start with Syndromes and a Century.

It's what I'd recommend as well :).

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 07:47:55 PM »
I feel like I have problems with this category. How does it work for someone like Edward Yang? Yi Yi is his only Aughts film, but that alone is enough for me to consider him. Same for someone like Steve McQueen and Hunger.

Maybe I'm alone and slightly crazy in this tho.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »
Kim Ki Duk

The Isle
Address Unknown
Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring Again
Bin-Jip
The Bow

Joon-ho Bong

Memories of Murder
The Host
Mother
Iíve lied to men who wear belts. Iíve lied to men who wear suspenders. But Iíd never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »
I feel like I have problems with this category. How does it work for someone like Edward Yang? Yi Yi is his only Aughts film, but that alone is enough for me to consider him. Same for someone like Steve McQueen and Hunger.

Maybe I'm alone and slightly crazy in this tho.

We steered clear from a singular Best Direction category because it would be too similar to Best Film, and I thought this angle would be more interesting. The fact is, if that film isn't able to get on the Best Film list, there is no way the director would make this list (this one is arguably more selective and it is the same voters). Certainly people can vote as they will but personally (this is not an eligibility criterion) I don't think a director with only one film can even be considered because one film does not a body of work make. Again, honor them in Best Film. I think of this category as marking the most high-quality films or the highest consistent level of quality of direction, not a direct statement on a director's skill that might be reflected in a single work.

For my own voting I'm not considering directors unless they had 3-4 films I adored during the decade and perhaps 2 in my best film ballot. Someone like John Cameron Mitchell who had two films in the decade (and ever) that both make my top-100 all time doesn't make the cut for lack of production.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:24:33 PM by Bondo »

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »
I understand, but I still almost wish there was a singular director category. I don't know that in the case of something like Yang and Yi Yi simply to recognise the film.

That said, it may be one of a few exceptions. I guess I feel it's a little like saying Harper Lee wasn't a great writer because she only wrote one book (To Kill a Mockingbird). Although again, that doesn't entirely fit, but I suppose it's the way I feel. And if I'm the only one who feels this way, I won't cause any fuss, but don't be surprised if you get a vote for Yang as best director from me.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »
We won't stop you or anybody else who feels that strongly about a single film director. By all means... :)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 02:53:34 AM »
James Cameron!
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »
If Noke can add Cameron then I'm adding Malick.

Real trees >>>>>> CGI trees

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:18 AM »
It's not a matter of can or can't. It's about what you consider a body of work.

I tend to agree with Bondo. One film will not be enough to get my vote.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 08:09:54 AM »
I wonder if 'Noke is also considering Ghosts of the Abyss and Aliens of the Deep.

...and that episode of "Dark Angel" he did?
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad