Author Topic: Box Office discussion  (Read 21253 times)

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
Re: Box Office discussion
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 11:22:36 PM »
I hope Lucy crushes Hercules and that it sends the message to Hollywood not to be afraid to spend millions on a film starring a woman.

I've never quite understood the rationale behind male-dominated action movies. Sure, I'm really not the target audience for Hollywood blockbusters, but on the most basic level, as a (straight) male, wouldn't I rather watch Scarlett Johansson, Angelina Jolie or Gina Carano doing silly action stuff? Isn't the sight of Helen Mirren wielding a machine gun more fun than the entire Expendables cast together?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »
I also noticed that Lucy is Rated-R while Hercules is PG-13, so that's a win too.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 04:04:41 PM »
Back in the #1 slot and poised to be the biggest summer movie in the U.S. this year, I'm really happy to read about how well Guardians of the Galaxy is doing.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
Meanwhile, Sin City 2 totally tanked.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 07:04:42 AM »
Meanwhile, Sin City 2 totally tanked.

Yeah that's why sequels aren't meant to come out 9 years after their mildly popular original.
I would have been siked for sin city 2 about 6 years ago.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
American Sniper expanded nationwide on Friday and earned a stunning $30.5 million. This the largest single day ever in January; the previous record belonged to Avatar, which took in $25.8 million on January 2nd, 2010. The Estimated weekend gross is $93.6 million, which is the 2nd biggest weekend to Guardians of the Galaxy for Bradley Cooper.

Blackhat opened in eighth place on Friday with $1.4 million. That's in line with Hemsworth brother Liam's Paranoia ($1.3 million), and is below past Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend bomb The Last Stand ($2 million). Blackhat is estimated at $4 million over the three-day weekend, which would be one of the worst debuts ever for a movie playing in at least 2,500 locations.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
Blackhat is a complete flop, which makes sense, as it behaves pretty much like an art film. I imagine some of the Asian cast and locations might get some of its money back... but it's not looking good.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
Johnny Depp may be done as a Movie Star, but I think this will get him back to being a great actor. I expect some surprising supporting work in the next 3-5 years.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »
Johnny Depp may be done as a Movie Star, but I think this will get him back to being a great actor. I expect some surprising supporting work in the next 3-5 years.

I saw a bunch of marketing for Mortdecai, but I was never fully convinced it was a real movie — because, I mean, who would want to see it? It seemed more likely it was a satirical campaign for a film-within-a-film. Or something.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
The IMDB countdown for Mortdecai was hilarious.

love